Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Literacy Display (and others!)

Hi all!

I'm back to evaluating my provision (once again!).

We've have had some alterations made to our classroom which has resulted in a much better, more open, much less cluttered space. I love the whole Communication, Friendly space ideas and also the Community Play classroom pictures which have minimal 'clutter' around the walls - just very simple, uncluttered displays which I would like for our classroom. I am trying desperately not to stick up lots of generic words and picture type resources that are not related to the actual children in the class but don't want to not provide interest and stimulation where needed. Has anyone gone down this route and found how to get the balance right?

Also, my big (continuing problem) is that I have kept my Writing area in the middle of the setting - I find that this area gets much better usage when it is in a really prominent place where children are always passing plus it becomes a 'natural' place to sit for a member of staff thus also helping to attract children. However, this means that there is no wall space (or back of another shelving unit) in which to display any writing/types of writing/prompts for writing and we are not allowed to hang anything. What do others do in terms of a writing display? Is it next to the writing area? What other ways could I provide such prompts without having them next to the table? Is it good enough that there is some writing in eye-view on the wall to show that it is celebrated? I'm wondering if I'm just getting 'hung-up' on the idea of having a display within the writing area as I've got a couple of books that present this as 'good practice'.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Green Hippo x

A few years ago I was trying to signpost (for adults not children!) where different areas were in the classroom. It was tricky as I had lots of tables. I got some big bits of cardboard (old boxes) cut them to a height which gave me enough space to put something on them. Then I covered in backing paper, added a border (on both sides). I stood it between the tables (half hexagon shapes) and it created a divider large enough to put something useful on but not so high it obstructed anyone's views of the room. The tables held it up and it was easy to move when the room needed to be set up for dinners.

• Like 1

Thanks Helen,

I had thought about doing something similar but didn't want to block the view around the table. I thought maybe we could make a higher backing behind the writing shelf to get a few bits on. Do you have a writing/literacy display next to your writing area? What does it contain?

Thanks,

Green Hippo x

I confess to not having one in a very structured way! I have put up words relating to a specific topic before but not very consistently. It's something I need to work on this year! I want to find ways to make things portable as my writing area is more a set of shelves with resources that children collect and take to wherever they want to write.

Well that's just the thing though isn't it? My area is the same, although it does have it's own table but they don't have to only write on this table. I'm wondering whether I'm getting 'stuck' on the idea of the Literacy display being right next to the writing area or could it or even, should it, be somewhere else so that they can see it and use it when necessary. I had a display with different types of writing on last year - laminated examples with other hand-made or 'real' examples e.g. cards, a letter, a memo, a list etc but to be honest the children did not really look at it unless specifically pointed out to them and then they prefered something on the table in front of them to follow, so maybe, a pocket or velcroed ideas stuck on the shelves that could be removed?

What do you think?

Green Hippo x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)