Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Bullying?

After some advice from managers of nurseries/preschools. I have been on holiday for 2 weeks and first day back I have had an accusation of bullying between staff - welcome back....lol. I know that one does 'snap' at people and that the other is not the hardest worker I have ever had (putting it mildly!) and the conflict seems to have boiled over whilst I have been away. How should I handle this? I am going to see the both separately tomorrow to start with. Anyone had this situation? We are generally a friendly and close team but not in this case obviously!

You also need to follow your setting's grievance policy to the absolute letter. This is really important so that you can show that you have dealt with the matter in an even handed fashion, have investigated thoroughly and have taken appropriate action.

Great sources of support already suggested to help you through, and remember we're here too! Good luck. Never a good position to be in, but I guess it goes with the territory. :(

Nothing more to add except write every thing down, it does not have to verbatim but make you get down on paper and give them a copy (not each others) to sign and agree

O and good luck, not nice xx

Edited by Suer

I would just add that my last setting I managed there was definite bullying going on - I'm still reluctant to admit it and still damaged from it and I was the manager - my advice would be to listen carefully to both sides because its a brave thing for someone to admit is happening - I never admitted/accepted it until it led to my resignation and profound effect on my mental health.

Good luck, not everyone is just jumping on the bullying bandwagon, it really does happen.

You need to be very clear in your head what constitutes actual bullying. Lots of people will claim to be bullied when in actual fact it's not. However, like GlamC I have been bullied in the past and it is highly unpleasant, so if that is indeed what is happening then it needs to be dealt with.

Thanks all. I spoke to them both separately the next day to gauge the 'whole' story... Seems as though rather than 'bullying', there was most certainly blame on both sides - both at work and on social networking sites. I had no choice but to give out a written warning for one as we have a very clear social networking policy and a verbal warning for the other. Not nice but they have shaken hands and I will have to keep a close eye on it. And I thought we were here to look after the children.......;)