Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

2 year olds in Pre-school

I would welcome some thoughts on the number of 2 year olds you consider reasonable in a session where the maximum number of children attending is 24. I have colleagues who never take more than 4 2-year-olds in a group this size. Our admissions officer has places to fill on a Monday morning, but we only have 2 year olds on the waiting list. If we admit these children we will have 10 children under the age of 36 months and 14 over 36 months and I worry how we will cater for the needs of the youngest children.

We only have one large room at our preschool so it is difficult to section areas off to accommodate different age ranges. We have 5 members of staff who work on a Monday, so officially we are in ratios.

Thanks

We try and keep it under 8 as a general rule - we also have 24 children and 5 staff. We do have one small room and one large one so we are lucky in that we can use that for some activities with the older ones.

However going back we have between 10 and 12 some days because some children who already attend turn 3 between September and November. We were originally going to say no to accepting more 2 year olds but then thought of the financial implications and the fact that they will be with us for several years and decided we could not really so no. Theoretically as you say within ratio for 12 of them but I feel that it is going to be very hard work going back especially with those in nappies that may need changing a couple of times a morning and those toilet training and wanting to go every half an hour. I would definitely draw the line at 12.

Despite that we have not had a problem with 8 a morning before - it can be down more to the mix of individual children than their ages as to whether things are working and everyone's needs are being met!

Some of the 2-year-olds will be coming in under funding and with additional needs, so that is really my concern. I believe we have had 10 or more in the past, but some of those children currently with us and under 36 months already have an additional need. As you quite rightly point out it is the nappy changing that is difficult and we do need to make sure that we are providing a good service to all children.

Thanks

we have up to eight in a group of 30 (5 staff) we also have lots with sen and eal so beginning of term is hard work!

We have to go with the money at times...at least the 2 year olds are between 2/6 months and 2/8 months so not too long before they are 3 !!!

Beginning of term is always hectic isn't it - just trying to get to know the children and get them settled takes a while. Some of our 2-year-olds are sometimes as young as 24 months and they are so different from those children who are approaching 48 months at the beginning of September.