Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Another development matters question

klc106

Hi

What is the difference between these two statements?

Imitates movement in response to music

and

Creates movement in response to music

They are both in 30-50 months in EAD but one is in Exploring and Using Media and Materials and the other in Being Imaginative

Also, what would you expect to see before you said a child "notices detailed features of objects in their environment"?

Sorry if these seem obvious!

The first is copying ie imitating which is the startings of developing a repertoire of movements, the second is doing something unique with your repertoire.

Noticing features of objects, is that still EAD? Child talks about what they see in terms of details like the properties of the objects. Would have to see DM to check!

Edited by catma

Thanks, that's what I thought but didn't think they would both be in the same age band.

No the one about noticed detailed features is UW.

I have always taken the Imitating one which is in the Exploring and Using Media and Materials to be more about the mechanics of copying movements to music and being able to replicate the actions to a song or dance routine whereas the Being Imaginative Statement about Creating to be more about their spontaneous creativity, hearing a song and dancing along.

For example we did a robots topic and when we played some electronic robotic sounding music some of them instinctively moved in a robotic style and created little robot dances. (Being imaginative) We then watched some YouTube of robot dances (I think there was a good one on Britains Got talent a year or two ago) and other children watched then copied the movements (E&UMM - Imitating)

Re the UW statement I would be watching for them to be looking closely and then commenting on a variety of objects usually starting with basic properties such as shape, size and colour but progressing onto giving more detail as they become more observant and articulate about describing what they see.

In our setting observations for this are often noted when children are exploring (often outside) and also using the magnifying glasses.

Mel

x

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)