Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Y1s In Unit

Evening Everyone

Well the unit is up and running thats F1/2 and Y1. We all share the same views and know what we want BUT the behaviour of one Y1 class is terrible. We believe the last teacher that taught these children has no or very little early years experience. They cannot 'play' or aid our child initated activities. They fight or run around. HELP!! How do we support these children without putting all the structure back in the day and make sure that the rest of the children are not missing out? My Y1 teachers are NQTs and I am so worried they will drown or feel like they are totally failing when in fact they are great. I am all ears!

To add to our troubles we have 2 statemented children, 14 on SEN register and at least 30 EAL children cor I am tired already.

PHEW,

A large G&T I should think. I feel drowned just reading what your team is coping with.

Magic Wand??? ( Well it is halloween soon ).

Your team obviously work well together, all I can suggest is a united agreement on postive behaviour management strategies that are consistently practised throughout.

I'm in a preschool and I thought all my staff understood behaviour management ( all had attended external training) but observation showed inconsistencies with various staff' approach. We developed this area by all sitting down and having a good discussion of situations we had tried to cope with ( real case scenario's not training ones) and came out of the meeting with a positive "can do" all together approach, this showed in the subsequent behaviour of all the children ( who now remind each other of rules etc). This does take time but does work eventually.

Good luck

Peggy

Agree with peggy,

Although also in a pre-school we find inconsistant treatment of behavour just causes the child to be confused ....we have all set the 'boundaries and rules' as a team and all work together consistently following the same procedures.

we have several EAL children though no way near as many as you and they too play better once they have picked up the rules, even though at the moment this is often by signs or actions as they speak no english at all. and yes the children tell them too.

This time of year is always harder , new children, new environment, new teacher all give them a chance to test the water and see what they can "get away with" for want of a better phrase.

"start as you mean to go on".......old phrase but seems to be the way it works for us ...

and what is the other one that springs to mind oh yes...

"give them an inch and they will take a mile" !!!

Inge

Gillie, it's always exhausting at this time of year, without having to deal with a completely new system. :) I'm afraid there aren't any magic wands though, despite Peggy's optimism in this area. :o Consistency and dogged determination is the only thing that will work. If you are all pulling together and believe in what you are doing, then you will start to reap the rewards in the long term. Don't be discouraged at this stage, but keep at it. (And I can vouch for large G&T's in times of need! :D )

Thanks for all your advice, lots of systems in place but maybe we need to be a bit sharper. Just to aid to my problems my darling head now whats an assessment system with a measurable score to start in nursery and follow through to Y1. I do honestly understand why he wants this as we have nothing really in place to track the children but all the systems I have seen seem like a heavy workload. Any ideas. This may seem like a stupid question but is there a foundation stage profile score that really feeds into NC levels and means something?

My head also is after the same sort of system which leaves me with yet another job to do! Running out of time to actually teach! We are in our second term as a Foundation Unit and due an Ofsted at any time so understandably he wants some 'concrete evidence' that the concept works. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Lox

sorry Gillie, no theer isnt anything. Anything that tries to link or predict profile scores to NC levels is statistically flawed but sadly that doesnt seem to stop our powers that be from wanting them. We are continuing with the profile in first term of year 1 but the head still wants end of year predictions based on NC levels or p levels. Im afraid if I had the answer Id patent it and retire on the proceeds...

Lox like you, I dont seem to have time to actually teach these days.. I dont think you can show the idea of the unit working or not until much later than one term. Surely you need a whole cohort of children to go through before you can start saying with any real evidence yes this works but this doesnt...? (or am I being dense?)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)