Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Diabetes - new child

meridian

We have a new child starting next week at our holiday club who has only just been diagnosed (couple of weeks) with diabetes, I have arranged for staff training with the diabetic nurse, just wondered if anyone has a medical care plan already in place I could adapt?

We are just about to say goodbye to a little boy who has type 1 diabetes as he is going to school. I have a care plan we use but to be honest the child's diabetic nurse really needs to complete a plan with the parents - so we were told anyway.

I can message you the plan we have if you like but it is a general one we use for illnesses not just diabetes but asthma etc too. What I have learned over the last couple of years caring for our little boy though is that every child with diabetes is different so you can't assume they will react the same way as another child with it.

Our little boy was diagnosed when he ended up in hospital with an illness which turned out to be diabetes, he originally started on injected insulin which we were trained to do by his diabetic nurse and now he has an insulin pump which I trained to use by going to the hospital with him and his family when he had it fitted so obviously the care plan changed drastically.....

Good luck, I have to say that caring for this little boy has probably been the most stressful but also most rewarding thing I have done in my job for a good few years x

We too have just said good bye to a diabetic boy. It was been a real challenge to be honest. When first diagnosed the condition was pretty hard to control and we had an number of issues with testing his blood and administering the meds. This is a massive responsibility and after discussing with our insurance co and EY advisor we decided to have his carer in on a daily basis. He has had many hypers and hypos during the year and they were not always easy to spot. Sometimes they can very easily be mistaken for something else. Our little boy has suspected autism too which didn't help.

Good luck with it and remember to let the insurance company know.

thanks for words of support mrsbat! the little girl we have starting with us is 5 and parents came to us last week following a really bad response from another childcarer in the area who was verbally 'abusive' (that's the parents words!) over the phone about having their daughter. We are only having the training on Monday/Tuesday and she starts with us on the Wednesday, so feel little bit concerned, but sure it will all drop into place when we have had the medical training.

dont want to put a fly in the ointment but what have your insurance company said? we normally have to sen in the training certificates letters from docs etc BEFORE the child starts and get them to 'assess the risk' for insurance purposes then the child can start

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)