Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

School Nursery - Policies

Can anyone direct me to where I might find model policies - I am especially looking for a 'Behaviour Policy'.

I work in a maintained nursery and have always 'followed' the school policies and procedures; the school has a large file of policies, but to be honest they really don't reflect or address the needs of the nursery class. With a Welfare Review imminent I'd like to have answers - are there any other nursery teachers who have had, and overcome, this problem? Is there a site or place on the forum where I might find and adapt suitable policies for nursery?

I feel I am drowning in paperwork at the moment :( I have so many questions about the WR audit and the audit is asking so many questions that I am not sure how to answer I just want to walk away and never go back into school! With regard to staff appraisals, the Head has insisted that I am not to carry out anything more than 'staff development meetings' twice a year - and these meetings have to be held as a team, not individually, and I do not feel that they are appropriate. The team meetings do not allow me to do the things I need to successfully appraise and supervise the staff.

Can anyone give me any advice? :(

Any reply will be appreciated.

I'm in a school nursery and we follow school policies. We operate a modified version of the good behaviour reward scheme followed by the rest of school. Not sure we have any policies that our just for us.

As yet i have seen no sign of staff appraisals other than the teacher's performance management. I have suggested there should be appraisal meetings for the TAs in Nursery and reception but got nowhere. I am however interested in what a Welfare Review Audit is. I have never heard of it before so am very interested!!

I'm in a school nursery and we follow school policies. We operate a modified version of the good behaviour reward scheme followed by the rest of school. Not sure we have any policies that our just for us.

As yet i have seen no sign of staff appraisals other than the teacher's performance management. I have suggested there should be appraisal meetings for the TAs in Nursery and reception but got nowhere. I am however interested in what a Welfare Review Audit is. I have never heard of it before so am very interested!!

Madmum THANK YOU for your reply!

I am not sure if the welfare review is in place in our local authority for ALL early years provision or if it is aimed more at the non-maintained sector. We have an onsite pre-school which I manage alongside the nursery unit but this is part of the school and, as such, is inspected with the school.

The Welfare Review Tool is a 26 page document which covers the Statutory Requirements and Best Practice. I have to complete the tool and send it, electronically, to the LA (Early Years Service). A few days after they have received the WRT I then have a 3 hour meeting to go through it - all the policies need to be available together with evidence from the statements.

I have also posted another problem which I cannot seem to find an answer to (on the forum or elsewhere!). When I work during the afternoon sessions (which are technically a pre-school, although I am paid as a teacher) do I apply 3.32 or 3.21 (from the Statutory Framework)? One states that I can work with a level 2 member of staff and the other states I must work with a level 3! I work with the ratio of 1:13 (and currently with a level 2).

I am so unsure about what applies to a maintained nursery and what applies to the pre-school when completing the WRT - or generally come to that!

I know that my questions should be answered at the meeting but would prefer not to have too many actions on the action plan.

I could really do without all this at this busy time of transfer documents etc! :angry: :(

It's my understanding that you should still be responsible for carrying out staff supervisions,

I agree - but the head does not; so I am hoping that the audit/review will force the issue (as many other issues! ;) ).

I agree - but the head does not; so I am hoping that the audit/review will force the issue (as many other issues! ;) ).

I agree too but clearly have similar issues to you DevonMaid. It can be very difficult to persuade a Head Teacher ( who is usually more interested in KS1 and 2) that certain things apply in school nurseries and not elsewhere in school.

If it helps, you've made me feel much better!!

I agree too but clearly have similar issues to you DevonMaid. It can be very difficult to persuade a Head Teacher ( who is usually more interested in KS1 and 2) that certain things apply in school nurseries and not elsewhere in school.

If it helps, you've made me feel much better!!

Yes, that does help Madmum! I'm glad it's not just me - I sometimes feel so isolated working in nursery!

x

Your local early yars advisor should be able to quote chapter and verse to your head teacher. Why not contact them and ask them to come in?

Yes Cait - I sent an email - it is now sorted!!! :P Re: staffing levels and qualifications - apparently only the qualifications were discussed by the Headteacher (the ratios were not mentioned).

Madmum - I am sending you a PM which may be of interest!

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply to my post!

x

i'm nursery teacher and our head said the deputy would do all ta and nn appraisals when i mentioned it 2 years ago, but surprise surprise, nothing has happened. and my new nn wants to have them. we follow school policies, as luckily an infant school, so that helps. and i really don't want to be writing policies as well as everything else. and head knows i am having a lot of problems with older nn not coping with assessment, learning journeys or anything. she's good with children and loves doing displays...... appraisals essential in nursery where staff responsible for their group and cohort's progress is impacted for some depending on the group they are in x

I know of a few people who have asked for schools 'behaviour policy' and it never ever has been produced!!

I also asked to look at my own children's school behaviour policy as at the time I was having a horrendous time with a particular child/parent at pre-school and asked the head for help, he did give verbal advice but I never got to see their policy!

Is it just my school that doesn't share policies (except for absence!) or is it schools in general?

I know of a few people who have asked for schools 'behaviour policy' and it never ever has been produced!!

I also asked to look at my own children's school behaviour policy as at the time I was having a horrendous time with a particular child/parent at pre-school and asked the head for help, he did give verbal advice but I never got to see their policy!

Is it just my school that doesn't share policies (except for absence!) or is it schools in general?

We do have a Behaviour and Discipline Policy and it is on the school website - it just doesn't reflect what happens in the nursery. We have our nursery rules but it's not a Behaviour Policy as such. The school policy mentions detention etc which of course does not apply to nursery.

I think you will find that all schools have their policies (especially equal opps and behaviour) on the school website - all schools are now obliged to have a website.

Edited by Guest

We have a 'Foundation Stage' policy. This basically points out all of the important bits of whole school policy that we've fiddled with to fit our needs and refers to other policies that we do follow, though there aren't many of these!

We have a fabulous headteacher who has worked in FS before so understands all this. We do however have issues with other staff further up the school not understanding various things about the way we do things and what our children can do - us poor Nursery bods especially get left out a lot :( The other day the Reception children were invited to join in with the 'whole school' sports day but we weren't! Soon put that right! ;)