Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Is the Sef worthwhile?

Guest Spiral

Of course not that's not what I meant at all - I just pointed out that the inspector had found it a useful tool to ascertain whether we practised what we preached - so of course you can't just use your SEF as a paper exercise - it has to be truthful - the inspector was thorough in her inspection, she left no stone unturned!

inspectors have to go into all settings thinking they are a 'good' in the evaluation schedule - then upon observation, tour, joint observation etc they will decide weather they meet the good criteria or go up or down from there!!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Spiral

Wish I could say that our SEF is a 'working document' - but honesty prevents.........I do know and understand that it really should be but there are just so many things to think about and keep up with that I'm afraid my SEF gets an 'annual update' and then sits not on 'a shelf' but certainly in a folder :(

That said, I do think it's a worthwhile process and I certainly found it extremely helpful for our last inspection - I made sure that the inspector took a hard copy away with her :1b

I'm really interested in catma's post - 'should contain the outcome of your self-evaluation process'............when the SEF was first introduced and training offered - one of the points that stuck with me, was the trainer saying "so what" - this a reminder to say that to yourself as you write your SEF :1b

My current SEF is really perhaps a little too brief - my SIP commented "I think you are selling yourself short" - so I intend to re-visit in the summer hols :blink: :1b

Are your staff team able to contribute Spiral and take some of pressure off at all?

I haven't looked atmy sef for sometime but had ofsted last week & was pulled up by inspector for not adding anything to it, although it isn't a legal requirement, this is what I will be doingover the summer

I haven't looked atmy sef for sometime but had ofsted last week & was pulled up by inspector for not adding anything to it, although it isn't a legal requirement, this is what I will be doingover the summer

Hi and welcome to the forum Sidemoor :1b

Yes, I must have a look at mine during the hols - well when it rains I might! ;):D

• Like 2

thought it might be worth noting the one thing Ofsted did say when they came to me at the end of June was that they had read my SEF - however she did say small tip they take it for granted that the standards of welfare are in place so when you write the SEF just comment on what you do above these standards rather than everything you do which would include the standards of welfare! hope that makes sense

thought it might be worth noting the one thing Ofsted did say when they came to me at the end of June was that they had read my SEF - however she did say small tip they take it for granted that the standards of welfare are in place so when you write the SEF just comment on what you do above these standards rather than everything you do which would include the standards of welfare! hope that makes sense

Makes perfect sense - thanks for sharing the tip :1b

• 2 months later...

Back in June I commented that I had not done the SEF but was using evaluation methods from county. I wondered if this was going to be a problem with Ofsted and can now report that it was not. We were inspected yesterday and our inspector was more than happy with the format I was using and commented that as long as we had a robust evaluation system in place that allowed all staff to contribute and which informed/ highlighted changes to be made then it was fine. Just thought you might like to know

Back in June I commented that I had not done the SEF but was using evaluation methods from county. I wondered if this was going to be a problem with Ofsted and can now report that it was not. We were inspected yesterday and our inspector was more than happy with the format I was using and commented that as long as we had a robust evaluation system in place that allowed all staff to contribute and which informed/ highlighted changes to be made then it was fine. Just thought you might like to know

That's really helpful max - thank you........hope all went well for in your inspection :1b

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)