Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help!

kerrydev

Hi

We are day 2 of OFSTED and we have a Nursery on site. I am the FS leader and was teaching in the Nursery but I am now in Reception. The Nursery got an outstanding 2 years ago. I am being interviewed today and one of the issues raised is that if the Nursery is oustanding why do the children come into reception still below National average. Bear in mind that our Nursery only sends 20-25 children and we are a 2 form entry school and we are in a deprived area of the country. Any thoughts? :blink:

I'm am a little confused as a nursery class couldn't be given it's own official grading in a school Ofsted - you would have had an overall EYFS grading 2 years ago which would have taken into account both nursery and reception within the school...or is it a registered provision and inspected under the EYs inspection framework

Without knowing the full context here in the set up, the issue they are exploring from the sounds of it is effectiveness of leadership and management, in managing the assessment process and ensuring rigour in using the data, plus quality of teaching and learning.

Can you talk about the following securely?

• What does the on entry data show for the children from your nursery and not from your nursery? Is there a difference between those 2 data sets?
  • What processes do you have in place as EYFS lead to monitor, moderate and challenge data from your nursery?
  • What are your processes for transition and making on entry assessments in reception? Are they robust enough? How do you know?

Cx

...and I would add that an outstanding setting could still be providing huge value added.....and the children make great progress from their starting points. :1b

• Like 1

Absolutely!

Without knowing if we are talking solely about section 5 inspections or a mix of EYs register and school inspection frameworks it's hard to know exactly what to say re the progress thing.

Cx

• 4 weeks later...

We are a private playgroup on school site. 3 yrs ago got outstanding. School have just had their ofsted. Fortunately did not come to us.

On their report it said children entering reception are below national average. That looks bad on us as most of our children go there. I spoke with reception teacher she said ofsted require a high standards most children should be in 40 to 60 mths. She knows and we know very unrealistic. If they go to school in highest bracket what have teachers got to work on. I have also heard of schools who put them lower on entry to show progress.

I am worried we wont get outstanding again.

Good luck

Buttercup

Your inspector will be looking for evidence of good progress for your children- measuring their progress against their starting points. Where they end up is not really the issue, and I don't believe this would affect your outcome. :1b

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)