Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Emerging across all 17goals?

Does anyone have any children who are at emerging across all 17 ELGs ? i am seriously worried about my results.

yes , i,ve got 4 chidren in my class that are emerging for most, apart for the odd one like psed. they are all summer born boys, very imature and still just want to play spiderman, ALL DAY! I am trying not to worry about the results this year, i think they will be very low everywhere, i think we're all in that same unknown boat! hope this helps

Yes, when I was moderating there were many children who were emerging across the board.

Results, I think, will be different, and not comparable to any previous data set because it's a whole new assessment. We will be recalibrating our expectations accordingly when we know what the national picture is.

Cx

Yes we have lots of children who are emerging across the 17 goals, but have spoken with another school who have been moderated (we haven't been moderated) who say that the moderators are quite open to giving them the goal if they have only achieved some elements of it. We have recently relooked at our scores and have raised some of the levels as we feel that we have been a bit strict with our scores compared to other schools.

It's not about being lenient as such, but asking yourself if this best fits the child's attainment.

The FAQ from the STA clarifies this: http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/teachingandlearning/assessment/eyfs/a00224219/eyfs-2013_2#faq2

Do children have to demonstrate skills in all aspects of an ELG to attain the expected levels?

The early learning goals (ELGs) should be considered in their entirety to create the most accurate picture of a child’s embedded learning. An holistic view of the descriptor should be taken and the practitioner should judge whether the level descriptor best fits the child’s learning and development, taking into account their relative strengths and weaknesses.

An example of this would be where a child demonstrates that they are very strong in most aspects of ELG 11 (Number) but there is no evidence of them solving problems using halving. The child would still attain the expected level in this ELG as it gives the best holistic view of the child’s ability.

Additional information handed on to the Year 1 teacher would indicate the elements where a further focus would be beneficial.

If the practitioner insists that each child demonstrates each element of an ELG, this could result in a ‘check list’ exercise.

Please refer to the EYFS Handbook, pages 11 and 23 for more information.

• 2 weeks later...

We have been told that a child should be able to do all statements including halving and doubling to solve a problem, consequently none of our children are at the expected level for number , but I have some 'bright' children

We have been told that a child should be able to do all statements including halving and doubling to solve a problem, consequently none of our children are at the expected level for number , but I have some 'bright' children

Well in my opinion, whoever said that is not following the STA guidance and as they are responsible for EYFSP nationally I'd err on what they say rather than anyone else to be honest!! And I say that as a moderation manager!!!

Cx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)