Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Gloup... Gunk...goooo?

hi there.. im am desperately trying to seek advice on how to make the gloup/gunk/ cornflour goo stuff.. :o i no once it is made it is a fantastic sensory activity.. but what are the measurements?! more water than cornflour?!

any suggestions would be greatly received! :)

many thanks in advance! xx

hi there.. im am desperately trying to seek advice on how to make the gloup/gunk/ cornflour goo stuff..  :o i no once it is made it is a fantastic sensory activity.. but what are the measurements?! more water than cornflour?!

any suggestions would be greatly received!  :)

many thanks in advance! xx

39015[/snapback]

many thanks, i will give it a go! and prepare myself for the mess! haha thanks again! :)

went on australian womans weekly website and found this:

Fingerpaint recipe

These recipes and craft ideas come from The Best of Children's Art & Crafts.

CORNFLOUR PASTE

Add to ordinary paint or add food colouring to use as fingerpaint; use as an economical extender for paint; use as a paper glue or use in papier-mâché.

You will need:

3 parts water (3 cups)

1 part cornflour (1 cup)

food colouring

saucepan

Step 1

Adult: bring the water to boil in a saucepan. Remove from heat.

Step 2

Adult: dissolve cornflour in a little cold water and add to hot water, stirring constantly. Boil until clear and thick (about one minute).

To make fingerpaint, add desired food colouring. This mixture will be very smooth. Offer it to the children while it is still warm to touch. A tablespoon of glycerine may be added to make it glossy. A ½ cup of Lux soap flakes may be added to give fingerpaint a lumpy texture.

Store in refrigerator as it spoils in hot weather.

Some good crafty ideas on here

we just mix the powder with water.  :D

39054[/snapback]

That's what we do Hali. :) I think the cornflour paste stuff is like glue isn't it. It's what my mum used to make so that we could do papier mache, but I think hers was just with normal flour.

We mix custard powder with water, this gives the look of being wet but it feels dry. At the right consistency, roll the mix in your hand and it appears "solid" in a ball, as soon as you stop the mixture moving ( rolling it) it transforms to liquid state and oozes through the fingers. Children find this really fascinating.

The combination of neither liquid nor solid is I think called "Thyxotropic" in scientific terms.

The custard powder also smells yummy and is a lovely yellow colour.

Have fun :D

Peggy

We'll just call you Professor Peggy then shall we?

We just mix cornflour with water as well; just until it seems like the right consistency. I think the custard powder probably has cornflour in it aswell to create the same effect.

Great stuff though!

If you whisk Soap flakes and hot water together for a good while and children play with it, it becomes 'gloopy'

Children need to wash hands after and beware of rubbing eyes too, but they love it when it works well. You can add whisks and cups and spoons and it slithers out of things.

Sorry but I haven't got any scientific terminology for it !

Cornflour's great too.

Lynda

hi every one..

thank you all soo much for your replies.. I made the gloup today and even added pink food colouring.. they loved it! just to make it a little more of a sensory experience i added some rice in it! haha.. call me adventurous!

i ended up making a little last night.. by the time i took it to school this morning it was rock hard.. i thought i was going to have to start from scratch again but nooooo.. just adde a little spot of water and WOW it came back to life!!! :D

was very exciting!

thanks again!

awwwwwwwwww Peggy you beat me! I always trot out the 'thixotropic' fact! (with an 'i' not 'y' though LOL) My Dad was an industrial chemist in the paint making trade and apparently some (emulsion I think) paint has thixotropic proprties.

It is one of my fave activities. We recently just gave the children bowls of cornflour and jugs of water for them to experiment for themselves.

Hi

Last week I made flour and water gloop. A bag of out of date flour from the back of my cupboard, bit of colouring and some water.

First piled flour in the middle of the builders tray then added water, bit at a time. First made more solid dough type consistency and played and talked about it for a while.

Stuck it all in the fridge overnight and next morning kept adding water to this now really cold dough (another sensory experience) until it was the same consistency as porridge. Added glitter to it which the little girls liked.

Then started to add flour again so it became more solid again. Next week going to do it again but am going to try putting a few lumps in an aga overnite so it changes texture again, will let you know what happens.

Please note, in it's porridge state VERY STICKY and VERY MESSY :(:D:(

Make sure all involved wear aprons and try to stop children from scratching their faces like one of mine did as her face ended up looking like she had some unpleasant skin condition, the gloop dried and sort of went scabby looking xD:(:o

Have fun

Sue x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)