Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Stay and play

Hi I am sure loads of you are already running stay and play sessions for parents. It is something I have thought about doing but never taken the plunge!! has anyone got any ideas / planning/ letters /activities they would be willing to share. I have looked on the internet and seen some ideas and pictures but there is no real detail. I am sure what I am thinking of will be fine but it would be great to have some advice - thank you. :P

We do one a term on a different morning to try and accommodate everyone. The parents are free to play and then have snack with their child so it usually lasts for about an hour and a half. They have become quite popular and we have some Dads and Grandparents coming as well now. We don't put out a specific activity for them just plan as usual but chat to them about how the children are learning from the different activities.

We have certain ground rules such as younger siblings can come but the parent's are responsible for them in case items are too small. Also no taking photos on their phones for child protection reasons.

• 2 weeks later...

We do stay and learn sessions twice a week for 15 mins - one reading based and one with activities. The reading one gives parents the opportunity to come in and listen to their child read their weekly reading book, as well as at home,and go through their word and sound tin, no extra work for us as we change books and go through tins weekly anyway. In the other session the same activities that are to be out that morning with a couple of extras added are used. Again no extra work for us but gives parents a chance to see what their child has been learning that week! Been doing it about 3 years now and it works really well.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)