Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Involving parents

Hi everyone,

I have recently started a new job in a FS unit. In my old post, we involved parents greatly in their child's learning through stay and play sessions and open lessons. It was a very much 'open door' policy. At my new school, parents have been kept at arms length for a long time and I am keen to engage the parents and get them into the classroom! The head teacher is also on board with this but am struggling past the basic ideas. We are starting a stay and play session next week and are inviting parents to a new half termly visit to the library. I also want to invite them into theme days, such as part of our superhero party. Has anyone else ot any really good ideas to involve parents that have been successful at your school?

Thanks

I heard a good idea today for a setting that has lots of mobile phone using parents. The school had set up a free email account and asked parents to email in pictures and notes about things their children had been doing at home. The idea was that these could then be added to learning journeys and used to inform the planning for the classroom activities. The emails weren't replied to but parents had had this explained to them at the start. I particularly liked it for those parents who might be at work all week and so I don't see them in person.

I'm in a similar position to you so I'll be following this to see if anyone comes up with any other good ideas.

I have on my action Plan to set up a 'WOW' wall for parents to add to assessment but like the idea of emailing them as most parents take photos on their phone so could email straight through.

Thanks for this! Let's see if anyone else comes up with any good ideas!

i am in pre-school but ideas that work for us are

inviting in parents that have a skill - play guitar ,enjoy painting etc

invite parents to read stories in book corner

invite parents in for song time - send home copies of your favourite rhymes so can learn them together

we are also a preschool but encourage parents to come in to share skills- we have just had one parent that came and did a cooking session making crumbles that children took home, another parent is coming in to do an art day with children. At our local primary parents areasked to come in and support children reading , err and anything else they may want to do, the school has a number of regular parents coming in on a weekly basis.This involvement is encouraged at 'meet the teacher' sessions at beginning of term and throughout the year via newsletters , school also does sessions for parents to see how ERR scheme works

at our preschool parent involvement had not been encouraged but we have now changed our greeting and encourage parents to chat and a smiley face does the trick - often when parents are not encouraged they need encouragement to realise that they are welcome

Edited by lashes2508

Guest tinkerbell

we invite parents in on Friday mornings for 20 mins before our whole school celebration assembly for all parents.We do library and maths game change so parents can choose books with their child.I also have different table top activities for all to access eg,peg boards,playdough,links,etc (change each week).

I was going to have a longer stay and play session but when I met up with the new parents at my reception evening I soon realised that most of them worked and they would not be able to make it.On the second evening talk (EYFS) I asked them 'what would you like to do?' and they said they would feel guilty thatthey couldn't attend an afternoon stay and play.They felt the friday morning could be a compromise as they could opt in or out.

It seems to be working as the parents have something to do and engage withtheir children.

Something to think about

Two years ago I had an afternoon stay and play and it ended up with parents just coming into the classroom to chat to each other whilst their toddlers ran around! I had to stop the sessions as the childrens behaviour too deteriorated with their parents in the room....then there are the children whose parents never attend...I sent a questionnaire to the parents to see what they thought of the sessions and one or two commented on other peoples children's behaviour which made me sad as they are not there to judge the children .

Good luck ,its lovely to have the parents on board.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)