Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nappy changing Room

I am due to return to work in a few weeks to a nursery as a nursery manager. I have not worked at this nursery before and working for a church run nursery will be very different from what I'm used to. Some thing that stuck out to me as I walked around is the baby room. This is for 0-2 yrs where as I'm used to the age group being split up in 0-1years, 1-2. Does any one else work with such a wide age range?

Also the nappy changing room and sleep room are into together which I found very strange. Being one of two managers I'm not sure how much control I will have over changing things but I was interest to see if any one else works in a nursery set up in the same way.

Adele x

We have three rooms, 0 - 2 years, 2-3 years and 3-5 years. We do this as it seems to fit with most children's development (although in an ideal world I guess splitting this age group would be great but we don't have space for any more rooms!) Originally we had planned to do 0 - 18 months, 18 months - 3 and 3 - 5 but we found the difference between 18 months and three years was too wide.

Our nappy changing and sleep rooms are separate. However, our nappy changing is down a corridor from the room and our sleep room is adjacent to the room, so we do have a changing unit in there and use it if the child being changed is not going to disturb sleepers or if there is nobody sleeping. It's just quicker and easier. We only have six children and two staff in our under 2's room so using the adjacent sleep room for changing means staff are not left alone.

Hope you get on ok! Go gently with any changes you would like to make at first, then once you have got everyone on board you will be able to go for it!

We are very lucky in that we have 4 rooms. We try to keep ours in academic year groups, so in the baby room they turn one, in the toddler room they turn 2, then 3 and 4 in the next two rooms. We tell parents that we move children up between 18 months to 2 years to the toddler room but that depends on how many nearly 3 year olds we have in there as, like Beehive says, there is a huge difference between these age groups. We have one little girl in the baby room who is 2 in September but she is quite happy in there and we'll wait until September until we move her up.

In September we'll move all the children up a room, however.... I'm considering keeping my June/July/August birthdays in the toddler room until October/December as I'm not sure how they'll cope with the next room up....

I've seen baby changing units in bedrooms (sleep rooms) before, ours was going to be in the room with us but the environmental health bod didn't like it so we moved it to the disabled toilet just outside the room, where we can see in to the main room.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)