Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Phase four phonics

I have an interview next week in my own reception class, they are going to observe a phonics session followed by a follow up activitiy 45 minutes in total (20minutes of which will be the phonics lesson) I am currently about to start phase four (CVCC word) as i have a middle ability group. I have phonics sorted as as it will build up over the week but i was wondering if anyone has any interesting ideas for a follow up phonics activity? I was thinking of keeping a few of my phonics group for the activity and linking it to our current interest in minibeasts. So far i am wondering about doing a phase 4 CVCC word bingo with minibeast counters/boards maybe, but any suggestions would be greatly apprechiated , im struggling with some inspiration at the moment!

Thanks in advance

How about putting some bark chippings in a tuff spot accompanied by some minibeasts and phonemes, they have to pull out the minibeast and find the right phonemes to spell out the words - caterpillar, butterfly, smail etc.

Depending on how able they are you could always just have the phonemes in the tuff spot and they have to use all of them to construct the words without the visual prompts of the minibeast and then when they have found out what the minibeasts are, go and find them hidden within the setting. Which could then lead on to making a map of where they found the different minibeast for those that want to.

Yes your right phase for is about adjacent consonants. Phase four also states that the focus is polysyllabic words and reinforcing the previously learnt phonemes, which includes er, ar and ll, which is why i suggested 'caterpillar'. I would certainly be using words like this with my phase 4 group.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)