Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How Long Is A Meeting?

Are there any rules/guidelines about how long staff meetings should be. We had a marathon event last week - 2 hours. We began with 2 different types of management game, then watched a DFES video of a class being taught on the topic of Greeks, we then discussed that and finally got onto school business. Phew! Several of us, mostly those with childcare worries, were worrying about when we'd get out. Just wondered what the norm is?

Angela

Yes staff meetings should only be one hour. We have a new head and he sticks to this - it makes such a difference as our old head used to run them for 2 hours or longer!!!

Yes, we had to get into this one a few years ago. I think 1 hour is the max - can't you just go after the hour? - espeically if you have child care considerations. They can't keep you prisoner!

On a similar note, myself and the other Reception teacher often find ourselves sitting through loads of totally irrelevant stuff - although our Head is great and always flexible!

In a DN, so things are different - shifts etc., but our lovely Manager puts a 1.5 hour limit on, and ensures all staff get a short break beforehand. This means early staff take late staff off about 5.45 pm, for meeting to start at 6.15

Sue :D

Its all a question of directed time isnt it? Although I understood that union rules were one hour once a week my old school used to have staff meetings that regularly lasted at least 2 hours and phase meetings every week. As coordinator I tried to finish my phase meeting around 5 and always allowed a break between school finishing and meeting starting, unlike staff meetings!! In the later days the staff meeting was also twilight inset as this seemed to be a way of prolonging things. Just another nail in the coffin for me so now Im supply teaching when I get work!!!

Id say the same length as that piece of string...

Your directed hours should eb availabale to you at the beginning of the year and usually account for 1 hour for normal staff meetings plus extra if you are SMT (we meet every week on top often 2-3 hours at a time....). If you have an agreed time as a staff ( and if not bring it up at a staff meeting), then you can excuse yourself and leave. after that time. It may not be popular but its amazing how succinct people become when they know folk will walk out if they waffle on for too long...

(having said that, I am one of those very brave in the shower people, who rarely actually walks out of an overly long meeting....)

Thing is for persons on the leadership scale, there is no directed time and no agreed "hours" - so you have no check except work life balance i suppose, I had staff meeting, SMT meeting and planning meeting each week - left no time in a 4 day week to do much else!! Mainscale teachers however are covered by the 1000 whatever the rest of the number is hours of directed time so staff meetings/parents meetings etc and anything that is directed has to come within that, as far as I know.......... :o