Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Foundation stage Profiles

Hi Softhead,

What an amazing piece of work! I expect you had a real sense of achievement designing this.

How do you make observation notes in order to date the appropriate sections on the child's file? And how often do you get a chance to update your records? I really like the idea of being able to access individual or group data.

:o

To make notes on a child you would simply enter the apppropriate area of learning, insert the date and type your notes . Any of the six areas can be viewed across six half terms or any child can be viewed in any half term across the six areas. I don't have to use it as such I'm not based in foundation.

softhead

Your system sounds very similar to that on the CD software proided to us by our LEA. I had thought this software was provided by Dfes to all LEA's for distribution to schools etc. I don't know if this happened. We did get ours and use it, very easy once you know how. It also allows for summary profiles to be printed, with or without comments. Lost of charts etc too for analysis.

Much better than filling in paper versions and then transferring the data. You only have to do it once, save to disc and post.

Just out of interest did anyone else receive the CD?

Going back a few posts - "From Sept all 4 year olds need to have their own profile started" This means I take it that nursery classes need to start them for the Jan intake into reception - can someone clarify?, as our LEA has specifically told us that only reception staff need complete the profiles (in a school setting). Not that it really matters as we have to use a document that covers all stepping stones and ELG's but it may make a difference.

• 1 month later...

Hi, im new to the site but have found the postings on this topic really interesting. Im currently working in a nursey class, and after going to the first cluster meeting of the school year, have found out that our LEA (Lancashire) have put together a pre-school profile which is built on the FSP. I know that Steve you have mentioned that this is not a statutory requirement, however after looking at the format I personally feel that these are good practice. It builds on the requirements of the FSP and also when the child moves up into the reception class, if the teacher doesnt have any prior knowledge of the child it enables the teacher to build up a quicker picture of the childs abilities. Our reception class teacher is all for us using these profiles prior to entry in the class. In addition also I think that in time to come these profiles will become a statutory requirement within nursery settings!

finally i just wondered with the national workload agreement, if the filling in of these profiles is sometihng that experienced nursery nurses or HLTA's can do if working fulltime within the reception class, hence leaving the teacher more time to teach rather than fill in more paperowrk?

j-bo, I think it depends on who your support staff are whether or not they can complete the profiles. Our nursery nurses in the nursery have their own family groups, know those children better and therfore are the right people to complete their profiles (we have our own nursery profile based on the stepping stones). We try to allocate time out every few weeks for them to work on them, and do not ask them to take anything home. But in reception we employ a classroom assistant instead who does not have her own group and is shared anyway across 2 classes. It wouldnt be fair then to expect her to do them, although she does provide useful information from the groups that she works with which the teachers then use to help them to fill in the profiles. Ive worked with different arrangements at different schools so there is no hard and fast rule. Could you discuss with your colleagues and your TAs to see how they feel and then make a decision that suits everyone?

Hi, havng read the post recently in reply to the query regarding who needs a profile, it is intended that the profile should build over the last year of the Foundation Stage and therefore any setting who has a child who is already 4 yrs old on 31st August 2003 should start the profile on the child.

It should then be transferred to the next provider for them to complete.

:o

Sara Sid

I dont know which area you work in but in Berkshire foundation stage profiles are started in pre-schools with 4yr olds.

If you have children moving up to school in the January term you only fill in the autumn term for them, if they go up in the spring term then you fill in autumn and spring, and if you keep them for the year then you fill in all three.

went on training this morning so its all clear now - if you need more help let me know - its not as daunting as it sounds.

• 6 months later...

Hello, this is the first message I've posted and I'm a bit worried I might sound slightly stupid. I'm an NQT in Reception and I'm finding the whole Foundation Stage Profile confusing. I have been filling my profiles in for a while now and it is going ok but I just wondered if anyone uses a document or knows of a format that I could use that would allow me to see the where every child is on the profile in order for me to plan appropriately. I hope this message makes sense

Hi Icklesmile

yes you are making sense - i supervise a pre school and fill in the profiles but like you have nothing to work too, no document etc only fill in what i see!!!

No help at all im afraid!!!! :o

Icklesmile,

We have just started using a matrix for charting whole class achievement, it contains all the stepping stones and the whole classes names, when a key workers child has signed off the stepping stone they tick it off on the chart.

I did it in excell and it's a huge document, on large a3 sheets! It should prove useful in seeing where the class is as a whole,

I'll send you more info if you are interested.

Jo :D

just thought Id welcoem you on board icklesmiley and no you are not stupid. You only have to read the messages on her to see that noone hads all the right answers regarding the profile.

Are you using the eprofile?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)