Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ofsted inspection in school nursery

apple

Hello all

talk of an Ofsted inspections is looming within our school and I was wondering if anybody had had a recent inspection in a school with a maintained nursery? If so I would be grateful to find out what the process was like for you and what did the inspectors look at? I know it all depends on the inspector on the day, but I would be very grateful to know what the experience was like for you and anything in particular that I need to be doing/know etc.

Thank you in the hope that someone can help/offer guidance

It will depend if you are the EYFS lead or not. If not then you just need to demonstrate good or better teaching and learning (consistently over time). if you are the lead then you need to have all the phase information and be able to talk about it accurately and clearly.

The schools inspection handbook gives all the details from the ofsted website.

Cx

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

Only just saw this! I work in a maintained nursery and we were inspected with the school in October.

In Nursery they wanted to see us doing phonics ( and also in Reception) and wanted the children to be intently engaged( ours got very excited playing a phonics game - excitement isn't good it seems!). They also wanted to see lots of opportunities for literacy and maths outside ( a challenge in a cold, damp October). We had lots out there but the inspector didn't bring a coat in with her so sat inside and looked out ( really!).

She wasn't very interested in our records and Learning Journeys either. All in all it was a fairly demoralising experience and I don't feel it compares to the inspection in a setting that's not part of a school - at the end of the day we could be all singing and dancing but the judgement is made on the whole school with KS1 and 2 results being the main focus. The whole school got' require improvement' but we the report refers to EYFS as a whole, as did the follow up HMI. The only plus from that was that the lack of interest in us by HMI suggested we weren't a concern ( and our SLT and LA had not had any input with us between the 2 inspections either, so they can't be worried !).

Don't want to discourage you but that's how things are with a whole school not specifically EYFS focused inspection!

Yes, I agree - school inspections are very different to non-maintained! Our inspector kept flitting in and out of the pre-school, nursery and reception classes!

The inspectors were really far more interested in KS1 where weaknesses were evident, so we were rather 'overlooked'! The EY inspector was only in for 1 day and commented on the poor quality of the outdoor areas in F1, F2 and KS1 - which was really VERY welcome as we already knew that this area needed massive improvement (more in terms of environment - grey, drab, concrete and unloved!). We are not in a socially deprived area and consequently get very little money - however we have high levels of vandalism and cannot leave anything out or have a garden area etc. SO, it is now on the school improvement plan and something is being done about it - thanks to Ofsted!

Your school management team will probably have a fairly good idea about what the inspectors will be looking for - especially if there are any 'weaknesses' within the school. We did however get a 'Good' outcome, so all were very pleased!

If inspectors don't perceive any issues they will leave areas alone because they've gathered all the evidence they need - it won't mean they aren't interested. They have to get through masses of things and ticking off aspects of the schools provision is very welcome!

Cx

That's very positive way of looking at it catma! At the time though it feels like you've given your all for something that doesn't get a second glance! It's good to see it as a positive not a negative if they don't spend hours and hours with us!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)