Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nursery Trips

Guest griffclan

Guest griffclan

Hi I'm just wondering what staffing ratios people use when taking children on a trip? I know it might depend on the type of trip etc but just wondering what people think in general. I'm looking at 2, 3 and 4 year olds onan adventure farm trip

many thanks

Guest griffclan

Thanks apple....when you say 1:3 is that a statutory requirement or just your policy? i couldn't find anything that says the ratio changed for trips just seems like we can decide on ratio based on risk, am I reading that right?

I totally agree about preferring a ratio of 1:2 ....I've got 2 hands so 2 children sounds good to me

I think it depends on your risk assessment of the place you plan to visit and the children. If you've got 10 children with special needs you will probably need more adults than if non had special needs. You know your children best and can work out the risk. Remember you'd need to plan for something going wrong and may need an extra adult to make phone calls, do a search etc. Have a gun time :)

I think ratios on trips are down to common sense unless the place you are visiting stipulates otherwise!

I rang county once and they couldnt give a definitive answer!

I try and take parents where possible with us on trips and I think as a practitioner I know the children, so know for sure who might be OK in a one to three scenario and who defintiely wouldnt!!

Down to where and who you are taking! I have no problem taking 1-4 on a local trip that we do regularly but if i have sen children/2 year olds or children with limited language skills i would be trying to take more adults. I think the difficulty is that if you are VERY defined about numbers then you allow youself no flexibility. We are lucky to be on the 'high street' (small street!!) if we want to do a quick trip to the post office some children will often want to come with me (and another member of staff...we do always have 2) it is quite easy to take 8 if they are the ones who know the rules....but we might only take 2 if they are my two year olds who don't know how to hold a hand....or even two of my older ones who refuse to obey the rules!! :P

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)