Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Christian Pre-schools

We are a pre-school attached to a church, with very strong Christian ethos. Are we a dying breed??? Seldom do I meet someone from a similar setting as ours and it would be great to hear from you, and maybe share some good ideas, good news, good practice etc.

Here's hoping and praying!

Hi LJW .... your prayers have been answered! :) Well maybe not, as I'm no expert on this!

I run a Pre-school, with a strong Christian ethos. We run from the Church hall, which is just round the corner from the church. The vicar is our chairman, and 3 others on the committee have strong links with the church.

Most of our children live in the 'parish' - and although some are christened at the church, I'm not sure how many of the families go to church (none of my business really!) I think that the clergy see some of our children as their future Sunday school children. Some parents definately do like the association with the church and they fully support us celebrating Harvest Festival (take the children up to the church);Nativity play (clergy come to our hall and we have a sort of adult 'service' before the play, while the children are getting ready)/ Easter etc. (make a garden display for the church) Obviously we do the other festivals too like Divali/Chinese New Year and will probably do Hannukah this year - although it is harder to celebrate festivals that the children cannot identify with or do not come into contact with. I would say that most of the children are C of E with a few R.C and I have no children with ESL/or are of a non christian denomination.

We do say a prayer everyday to which the children respond well, but I always find that introducing the concept of Jesus or God very difficult as the children are so young. That's just me though, someone else might find it easier (I need more practice!) Easter I find REALLY hard !

Generally though, our association with the church is part and parcel of our Pre-school and parents like the feeling of a close knit group.

I don't know how different to this your group is, or if I just skim the surface - but I'd be interested to know!

Janice :)

I work in a similar situation to you, LJW. And our preschool sounds not unlike yours, Janice, except that we're not a C of E church. We are constituted as part of the church. Some staff members belong to the church, others, including the 2 Deputy Managers, don't. I think it would be excellent to share, and thank you for your wishes, SmileyPR.

Hi there

We're not a Christian group, but we have strong links with the church in the village (a short walk away). We visit the church for Easter, Christmas and Harvest and always invite the vicar and his wife to all our functions/parties or celebrations. Our parents seem to link this link, and they come with us and their children whenever we go into church.

On a related note, I heard of a group this week who were having a visit from an Early Years adviser (not sure which agency) and she expressed deep displeasure when the group sang a little song before snacktime which you probably all know and ends "thank you God for everything". This lady felt it was inappropriate to sing this song in a multi-cultural environment.

We had a long discussion about this but didn't come to any conclusion. I wondered what people think about this?

Maz

A suggestion could be that you write a letter to the parents and ask them if it is okay, to not hurt any sensitivities. I think most won't bother, no matter what religion they belong to. Christians, Jewish and Muslims believe in One God. Hindus believe in several, but maybe there is a main one or one to which they give thanks for their food... so they could think in that one when they pray this song. The only problem could come from parents who are atheist.

Best wishes!

A suggestion could be that you write a letter to the parents and ask them if it is okay, to not hurt any sensitivities.

38620[/snapback]

This was the point that the practitioners made: we have done this every day for years and years, and there have been no complaints from parents/carers.

I'm not sure how this will resolve itself. I suggested that they might teach the children blessings from other religions, perhaps as part of a theme about festivals. The practitioners involved felt this was political correctness gone too far, and it would be interesting to do a bit of research to see if any parents are genuinely offended by this.

The group seem as adamant on keeping this song/prayer as part of their snack routine as the adviser was they should ditch it!

I'm watching this one with interest!

Maz

We are a church group as well (or were)!!!!!!!!!

When i started 6 yrs ago 3 members of staff were from the church, the vicar had just told his christmas congrigation full fo children that santa wasnt real which got into the local papers!!!!!

I have to say not being churchy! myself i have never met such uncharitable people in my life.

We asked the church to come over 1x a week to talk/read to the children (they never do)

We are not allowed sand or water in the hall (it might spoil the floor)

We are not allowed to leave posters/displays up (it ruins it for other users)

Basically anything we ask for its a no.

We are not allowed too tarmac a 1/4 of the grass space so we can go out in winter.

Thats why i keep looking for new pemises..with no luck as yet!!!!

Okay, I will stick my neck out slightly Maz. :o I am one of those atheists that Smiley PR mentions. My concern would be that by incorporating this into their daily routine they are teaching the children that it is an absolute fact that there is a god and they must thank him for everything. I introduce my playgroup children to a variety of religions/festivals throughout the year but I tell the children very clearly that this is something that 'some people may believe in'. I am not teaching them that this is fact and something they should believe in - this would be tantamount to brainwashing and highly irresponsible of me. Let the children know there are choices but leave the final choice to them. :)

Hi,

I am the manager of a christian pre-school, :D that is I myself am christian and our pastor is the chairman of the committee and so is the remainder of the committee, the rest of the staff however do not attend church but are all willing to take part in whatever I ask of them as in learning action songs with the children with a christian theme. we have approx 60 children on our books at the moment most of whom are non-christian, they do not seem to have a problem when we teach their children songs and read bible stories, however it is all very low key and as with everything else we offer the children it is free choice I believe that is important to remember this I do not force my opinions on any of them but I am allowed to pray for them in my quiet times as this is my choice. on the whole we have a very happy and thriving pre-school.

so no you are not on your own or a dying breed. may many blessings fall upon you, working with children is a precious gift to have.

Okay, I will stick my neck out slightly Maz.  :o 

38644[/snapback]

You know what happens when you stick your neck out, don't you? Chop, chop, chop!

I take your point about the certainties or otherwise of the existence of God. I agree with you that we shouldn't be telling our children what to believe: except perhaps that 2 and 2 make 4!

This subject gets thornier the more I think about it!

Maz

Ah!

As a Christian, with an interest in faith of all kinds, I find myself in a very interesting position. I feel the need to explain Christian festivals as they occur so that the children gain an understanding of what is really going on - I then see it as my duty to give the same care to all other festivals. Does this seem like an OK approach?? I've not been hauled up yet by any inspecting body, but if anyone has any suggestions/comments, please fire away

Sue :D

Hi Sue :D !

I do the same :o ! I believe that faith is a matter of a personal/communal experience and personal choice. I like that our children have a real understanding of our festivities and not a mearly commercial one (real Christmas... Christ_mas... birth of Christ vs. Santa Claus or so). In Belgium we have St. Nicolas and that festivity comes at the beginning of December so I just take him as a man who loved Jesus, lived like a Christian and guides us to the celebration of Christmas. The same way with Easter.

Because of my respect to other people's faith or personal choices of not believing, I encourage the celebration of other main celebrations of Hindu's, Muslims and Jewish. I suppose it is surprising for others to see that because I am Christian/Catholic I am not fundamentalist. Slowly the other teachers have become more aware of the need to celebrate these other festivals.

I was once substituting in a class where there was a child who is atheist. She started to mock other children's faith and I had to guide her to the fact of the importance of respecting their faith as well as they are to respect her choice to not believe in God.

No inspector can say we do wrong since we are following the ELG's in the two areas:

PSE

Understand that people have different needs, views, cultures and beliefs, that need to be treated with respect

Understand that they can expect others to treat their needs, views, cultures and beliefs with respect

KUW

Begin to know about their own cultures and beliefs and those of other people

Have a nice week :)!

Ah!

As a Christian, with an interest in faith of all kinds, I find myself in a very interesting position. I feel the need to explain Christian festivals as they occur so that the children gain an understanding of what is really going on - I then see it as my duty to give the same care to all other festivals. Does this seem like an OK approach?? I've not been hauled up yet by any inspecting body, but if anyone has any suggestions/comments, please fire away

Sue  :D

38686[/snapback]

This seems sound to me, Sue. This was behind my suggestion that the group learns blessings from other religions. I think it is important to give children a range of experiences: we enable them to use pencils, crayons, pastels, charcoal and felt tipped pens in their drawing. We should be encouraging an interest in (or at least some knowledge and understanding of) a range of religions/cultures, too.

Maz

Acording to our vicar we are not allowed to do any other festivals or religions, he got extremly cross one year when a mum came in and spoke to the children about fthe festival of light.  (now we just do them in secret) :o  xD  :(  :(

38737[/snapback]

If you weren't such an honest and upstanding pillar of the community Hali, I wouldn't believe you! I didn't think attitudes like that existed today - and him a Vicar! What is he scared of?

Ooh, and I'm usually so tolerant!

Maz

I'm gobsmacked!!

Our Rector's wife is head of RE in the local Comp - she teaches covering all faiths, particularly tolerance etc. The Rector himself often compares and contrasts different faiths, showing how some of the major faiths actually support each other - e.g., that Jesus is held in high regard as a prophet in both the Jewish and Muslim faith.

Where has yours been hiding?? To echo Maz!

Sue :D

• 1 year later...

Hi, I know this discussion happened a long time ago but I just found it!!! Have any of you heard of Ci2eye? It stands for Christian Initiatives in early years education and has just held a meeting for a national steering group. This group is going to be looking at some of the issues you have raised with training and conferences. Search for it online.

heyjude

Hi, I know this discussion happened a long time ago but I just found it!!! Have any of you heard of Ci2eye? It stands for Christian Initiatives in early years education and has just held a meeting for a national steering group. This group is going to be looking at some of the issues you have raised with training and conferences. Search for it online.

heyjude

I clicked on this as a 'new post' today, and was so surprised to see my old posts under my previous identity! I laughed too when I saw Hali's 'holiday' ticker applied to her old posts (either that or she's been going on holiday to Cyprus for the last two years :o

This sounds interesting - is it mainly for Christian groups/practitioners or is it aimed at all groups wrestling with these issues?

Maz

• 1 year later...
We are a pre-school attached to a church, with very strong Christian ethos. Are we a dying breed??? Seldom do I meet someone from a similar setting as ours and it would be great to hear from you, and maybe share some good ideas, good news, good practice etc.

Here's hoping and praying!

Just noticed this a few years too late. Have a look at Ci2eye online (Google it). We are doing a conference in Birmingham on June 13th called "Every child's spirituality matters". Just noticed I posted thi information a while ago. Did anyone read it????

Edited by Guest

Heyjude! Thanks for bringing this one back up to the top! I did receive the latest ci2eye info but I can't make it unfortunately......

I'd be very interested to hear all about it though if you are going?

Heyjude! Thanks for bringing this one back up to the top! I did receive the latest ci2eye info but I can't make it unfortunately......

I'd be very interested to hear all about it though if you are going?

Yes, I am going - actually leading a workshop!!! I'll let you know how it goes.

What's the workshop on?

The one I am doing is on discovering your own "spiritual hardwiring" and the implications of this on opportunities we give children - looking at different ways that people experience "spiritual moments" etc. It will all tie into the EYFS rather cleverly!!!!