Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Student teacher observation and feedback

Hi,

I currently have a GTP student in my Nursery Class. She is planning and teaching the morning session. We have a long session which is purely CI so in essence there is nothing in terms on planning apart from enhancements and individual 'next steps'. She wants me to observe her during our CI session but I'm not sure how to fill in the form. It is clearly designed for use higher up the school and includes a tick-list of points such as "lesson follows a structured format", "plenary used well to review learning", "objectives clearly outlined at beginning of lesson", "lesson has clear beginning" etc all which does not lend itselfs to CI 'teaching'. Has anyone had any experiences of having GTP students in their class being observed during CI learning time?

Thanks

Green Hippo x

I'm not an expert on the GTP route but does the trainee have a supporting university? Was wondering if they might have a variety of forms for different key stage training for thei PGCE students if so. I know my university had separate paperwork for the early years PGCE and the general primary one for this very reason.

Sorry to keep asking but does anyone have any experiences of being observed during a CI session (e.g. at a time when no focused activities are going on but where all adults are involved in supporting children in their CI play?) - what did you show in terms of planning?

Thanks

Green Hippo x

I'd see planning as the continuous provision planning - i.e. what you have planned to add that supports learning and then it's down to the skill of the practitioner to develop sustained shared thinking. You can't plan to respond to the teachable moment. You observe/assess/plan in a moment and do something with the children that is spontaneous but moves their thinking on. Its actually about the practitioner being very skilled at interacting, higher order questioning, listening, really knowing the framework and possibly being able to identify the opportunities to link to embedding skills that are being targeted...

Cx

Edited by catma

There should be a different form for you to observe and note! Not sure if I still have one but it is specifically for early years - if she is doing 'early years' as opposed to primary I would think she should have a copy of this!

In the distant past when I mentored on the GTP programme, I used the formats I was expected to, (which we later re wrote), and just wrote what was appropriate. So under planning, I would be looking at enhanced planning and the environment, how the room was set up and how accessible the activities were or how accessible other resources were (depending on the set up in the school). I looked at the interactions, the deployment of adults and how they extending and supported language. Under assessment I looked at any observations that were completed, and any evidence during the session of ongoing assessment, such as offering help to do something, or accessing other resources to add to their play.

For the plenary, I might look for if there is any review time at the end of the session, giving children an opportunity to talk about what they have been doing.

Basically I used their terminology in an early years way as much as possible. Then when we complained about the forms, we were asked to re write them...so we did!

I dont know if that helps?

• Like 1

Hi I teach reception and have a GTP student this year. I have similarly had difficulties with the forms being geared to ks1 or2. My student had to be observed teaching science for example and even though she spoke to them at uni about how to go about this in EYFS (no help given with an answer really) in the end she set up a little investigation with ice and I obsved her interactions with the children and focused on her questioning skills. My student plans with the children as I would do what they would like to learn the following week during heir child initiated time and she prepares all the resources. When I observe her in this time I look at how she starts off and ends the session and her interactions to support and extend play.

Deb

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)