Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Baker's shop role play

We're starting a baker's shop role play next week. This is what I've come up with so far to make it from/put in it. Am having a bit of a mental blank now - can you think of anything else to add?

shop sign

opening times sign

price labels for different types of bread/cakes

bread/cakes

till

oven

un-dyed playdough

bakers aprons/hats

bags/purses/baskets

order forms

'cake catalogue' to order from

phone

A clock, timers for how long the ingredients cook for. An oven, paper bags for bread or cake purchases, money, cake or bread tins, rolling pins, cutters, display of bread and cake products for identifying and naming.

Can you have a tasting table with different breads.

Not sure any of these ideas are useful at all.

Those ideas are great, thank you. Don't have a very accessible baker's shop to go to but when we talked about it last week and whether they wanted it or not it was evident from what they were saying that the majority had visited a bakery on a regular basis. Some of them want to add a coffee shop to it!

Love the idea of a tasting table. We were meant to be moving on to growing fruit and veg soon but I'm thinking there are so many great ideas coming up we might just stick with the baking version of growing for longer!

Your welcome :)not sure if you have the facilities but just thought can you make your own bread rolls with the children. You can use the easy yeast, great fun, perhaps they could fill with ingredients and eat them too. Lots of mathematical, physical and language rich opportunities with this activity.

We made bread rolls last week and had them fresh out the oven for an afternoon snack! According to one child it was "the best bread I've ever eaten!". Also, did an investigation into whether hot, cold or warm water made the yeast work best and also looked at bread going mouldy. We've been doing various things around the Little Red Hen story too - including making a little red hen puppet.

Sounds fab HelenD26.:)

Thank you! I needed that; has been a long afternoon and I ended it feeling fed up and despondent, haven't tidied properly or set up for tomorrow so will be a busy morning but just needed to come home! Thank you for your encouragement.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)