Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Responding to verbal complaints

Afternoon all,

I have recently had to deal with an allegation against a member of staff which has been unfounded and no further action required. My question is would any of you put this in writing to the parent? The parent hasn't actually put her concerns in writing and I have spoken to her verbally. I have also looked at our complaints policy which states we only do a written response when there is a written complaint.

I would be interested to know what other setttings policies are and if I need to look at updating our policy to be a little clearer in such cases.

TIA

I would address the parent verbally about it and note the conversation afterwards for my own records. Make sure you have recorded everything for yourself and maybe in conversation with the parent ask them if they would like a written response so that you at least offered it to them.

I agree with Hoolahoney. I think you need it written down for your own records. Even though the allegation was unfounded, I would still want a record of it. I would ask the parent if they would like a copy and ask them to sign it to agree that is what happened.

We have a policy of noting down any significant conversation we have had with any parent - it is as a result some years ago of the head teacher of the primary school being involved in an exclusion appeal and the parents denying they had ever had any support from staff at any point. This was simply not true but the question was then asked - well what evidence do you have of what verbal support has been given to this child over the years? At the time the answert was - no evidence which is when our policy was introduced. It is a very good habit to get into if you can. It just gives you evidence of any actions the staff at the setting have taken below formal proceedings/ records concerns shared with parent and their response and can be very useful when showing what actions we have taken to support children - we have a simple form which just requires an outline of what was said and the signature of the staff member and the date. There is also a space for the manager to counter sign to say they are aware of the conversation.

Yes more paper work but one bit that can be very helpful if things develop in the future. The diffculty is in knowing what needs to be recorded and what is uneccessary. S

We recorded every complaint be it verbal or written , sometimes by writing it down for parent to sign it makes them very aware of how seriously you take all complaints . it is also good practice as you may think it is competed to a satisfactory end but you have no idea of what may happen at a later date when you could need written evidence of the complaint.

Need less to say, been there once, verbal complaint, unfounded when investigated but did not write it down and ended up needing the record of the complaint and what we had done.

for us that was the one and only time we did not record everything and get parent to sign as well... held us in good stead many times after that.. sounds like we had lots of issues, maybe a few more than others... but we learnt how recording all makes a lot of sense and helps .

I would address the parent verbally about it and note the conversation afterwards for my own records. Make sure you have recorded everything for yourself and maybe in conversation with the parent ask them if they would like a written response so that you at least offered it to them

We recorded every complaint be it verbal or written , sometimes by writing it down for parent to sign it makes them very aware of how seriously you take all complaints . it is also good practice as you may think it is competed to a satisfactory end but you have no idea of what may happen at a later date when you could need written evidence of the complaint.

Need less to say, been there once, verbal complaint, unfounded when investigated but did not write it down and ended up needing the record of the complaint and what we had done.

for us that was the one and only time we did not record everything and get parent to sign as well... held us in good stead many times after that.. sounds like we had lots of issues, maybe a few more than others... but we learnt how recording all makes a lot of sense and helps .

I have addressed the parent verbally and recorded their complaint from what they have told me. i have followed all the formal proceedings also and recorded the outcome of this on our PSLA Summary of Complaints record which I have signed.

Thanks for all your advice on this. Just nice to be reassured I am doing the right thing :)

• Like 1