Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Freebies

Hi,

I have just received a bundle of advertising materials;

1/ 18 boxes of Kandoo toilet tissue to give to parents ( I have 30 on the register, how can this be fair?) and an offer to request a teacher training pack on healthy practice lessons.

2/ Leaflets advertising SKY TV, to hand out

3/ PLA chequebook, this is distributed every year to PLA members and consists of a book full of money off vouchers for parents, plus some early years general info.

How do others feel about Companies Advertising via preschools?

I personally don't feel comfortable with it.

A/ because I don't endorse all the products myself.

B/ because there is never enough to distribute faily to everyone.

C/ I feel exploited of my time ( distributing) and storage space.

I would like to keep the Kandoo boxes, not for their content but because they will make great Art Area storage containers. :o , but would this be stealing if I don't hand them out? ( which would cause a problem to share them fairly). I don't actually like the idea of "wet wipes" for wiping bottoms, It's just another way to make money out of parents, we've all managed with toilet paper and these could threaten the livelyhood of the Andrex puppy xD

What do you think?

Peggy

Peggy I agree on all points. Kandoo are taking the micky. Have you seen the latest? A bath mitt with soap already in it? My children used a flannel, sponge or other such and learnt hand control when they put their own soap on it! I agree about dishing out stuff you might not endorse yourself too, I always felt uncomfortable doing it so I just left the stuff on the parent info table and left it up to them to take it if they wanted. When there wasnt enough to go round the staff dished it out between them and I've never seen anything in the PLA cheque book worth while.

i'M ABOUT TO BE OFFICIALLY RECOGNISED AS THE cHAIR OF OUR LOCAL BRANCH,(ACTUALLY BEEN IT FOR A WHILE BUT HAVE NO IDEA WHAT i'M SUPPOSED TO BE DOING) SO i'LL SEE WHAT THEY HAVE TO SAY ON THE MATTER, ANY OTHER COMMENTS REGARDING pla WOULD BE WELCOME (And I will learn to watch what I'm doing when I type, what a mess) :o:D

Got these over a week ago now.

to recieve these materials you have to have registered an interest at some time...I think i vaguely remember saying on some form that I was happy to recieve advertising material. you can contact them and opt out of the scheme at any time there was a note with ours saying how to do this, so if you do not want them contact PLA.

I did note with the wipes that they were supposed to be given to parents of children 2.5 to 3.5 yrs. All I did was put them out in a box and gave parents the option to take them if they wish. when they were gone that was it. I also do the same with the passports or other materials they send. ( I have had some money off vouchers from the passports which I have used for items occasionally)

Must admit the sky ones went straight to recycling. (Most of my parents cannot afford it!!)

Inge

Inge, you have a valid point if I have had the option to "Opt out", I think I will do that for the future.

Rea,

Congratulations on your new position. I have been involved with PLA since 1983, I endorse their aims but until recently they (as an organisation) did tend to have an image of being "old fashioned, do gooders"

I remember quite a few years ago, every PLA person I came across would be wearing a silk scarf ( like a uniform that just manifested by itself). Not my style, so I felt a bit on the edge, if you know what I mean.

Then they bought out a PLA logo badge....very nice, gold (colour) and a reasonable price.( although some people commented that it looked like a person was running away with the children). These were all duly worn by PLA "persons". I remember joking to a colleague at National office that I had gone and got a tattoo of the PLA logo on my bum....and did she think others would follow xD:D:o

I have been involved in branch committee, been a Tutor, Q.A. Assessor and Tutor trainer. I've had my ups and downs with various colleagues within the PLA but overall they have now become more pro-active and they are a voice that is heard in political arena's, which can't be bad.

They are the true advocates of Learning through play.

Let us know how you get on.

Peggy

As I am very into recycling and waste reduction I am NOT an advocate of most forms of advertising and deplore things like Kandoo which are such a waste and an unnecessary product.

Makes me GRRRR :( when boxes of free stuff like that arrive - at least with small packet samples you can put them in an envelope and post them back to the company with no stamp on so they have to pay postage :o ( Have done this with a load of baby wipe samples - sent them back in individual recycled envelopes!!) Can't fit boxes of stuff in a postbox though so you are then stuck with the product. Also many parents are strapped for cash anyway and don't need to feel that another product is a necessity.

One of my pet hates I'm afraid xD

Oh My...I saw two women at the last meeting wearing a silk scarf!!! Not my style either, I think they may be in for a surprise :oxD

And I get your point about the waste megsmum. Ashamed I hadnt thought of that but I've been too busy putting 5 carrier bags of bottles into the recycle bin :(

We have always been a member of the pla but have NEVER recieved a check book of vouchers.

Then again, haven't got much out of them. Are these vouchers standard for members.

Net x

We have always been a member of the pla but have NEVER recieved a check book of vouchers.

Then again, haven't got much out of them. Are these vouchers standard for members.

Net x

38411[/snapback]

Rumour has it the next book will have a voucher for your local tattooist/body piercing studio....

Maz

Spoke to local PLA, had no idea what I was talking about (vouchers), so rang reginal office. Found all my details and said it must have been the distributors fault - Attling. So rang Attling and surprise surprise was not on the list given by PLA.

Rang back quiet angry and asked them, since I haven't received vouchers for 4 yrs, still waiting for a the PLA report on my standards inspection since march, PLA shop has shut down and every time I ring my local office it is an answer machine and they are only offering 3 courses at extortionate fees, why should I renew with them next yr.

Actually reading the above, I probably won't but will make sure I get my vouchers and Kandoo wipes first. The nice man on other end of phone said sorry and will sort it out. Here's hoping.

I know some of you work for them but Befordshires PLA are terrible. I hope other counties are better.

Net x

As I have that on my soap box feeling I am going to put in my twopenny worth. Manufacturers will get to anyone. I personally would not hand out the kandoos if you did not have enough of them. Kandoos - don't think that ecoligically they are very sound - nice boxes - more plastic - more waste unless of course you are like Peggy who has great ideas for them and as for producing soap mits - well that is just going too far. As someone said their children, (I would try and find who it was but my forum tehcnical skills don't seem to redirect me to the previous page) used a flannel and a sponge - well not so long ago I was lucky to get my children to use anything that resembled soap and a sponge - quite happy to use all the hot water in the shower though............ but wash ..,.,.. another matter.

Re: PLA vouchers books. I don't see really see the harm in these. Some of my parents use these and ask if they can have more. Haven't received any this year. If it helps someone then I think it's got to be good. Afterall if they are presumably buying the product anyway then why not buy it cheaper.... but I do agree we have enough things to distribute and I wonder about how much, if anything, the PSLA make out of this and who ultimately decides on what goes in it? Are they ensuring that the companies who advertise are ethical, ecologically friendly or is it just a money spinner - don;t know the answer to that though.

So say no to kandoo and yes to PSLA voucher books

Nikki

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)