Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

characteristics of effective learning

I was interested in finding out how many of you use characteristics of effective learning on your observation sheets. I currently use them on the 2 year check and transition to school form. I also use them adults role on staff observations. Do you feel they need to be on all observations or not? if so do you have a format you would be willing to share??

Hi, bakerboo and welcome, I think all our ob formats now have a reference to CoEL, either just as a tick box to the 3 types or specific statements within the 3 areas on long obs, not quite sure what you mean by staff role bit, if only on recording on 2 year check then school transition that's a poss 2+ years with out observing how children are learning and a lot could change from the 2year check to school transition....but there is quite a bit of discussion on here already if you do a search and some ob formats with CoEL included.

We now use them quite a lot in day-to-day observations and assessments for all children. We also use them a lot when recording/observing/assessing children with additional needs. For example, we are currently gathering evidence about a child who we think has ASD traits and have found his motivation to play and join in activities is very low. The CoEL have really pointed us in the right direction when looking at this kind of thing.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi

I have been on the forum for 3 years now but never found the time to post anything!

I am a Manager in a pack away Pre-school and am getting so bogged down with all this paperwork... thank god for the forum!

It makes me feel so much better to read posts from people who feel the same as me.

Thanks for the examples of CofEL they will be a huge help in my setting.

Keep up the good work everyone because we are all doing a good job...sometimes its just nice to be told!!

:D:D ::1a

We do WBI beginning of each term we now circle the CoEL then.

Schools in our area have to mark and comment on this on their reports at the end of the yr.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been away from the forum for a while, like above due to lack of time, but i have some free time today. Yes the examples are great and i adopted one of these myself months ago.

Ok back to the OP's question. Basically i read it has should we use CoEL in just some assessments, documents or all? Well i know this is still quite a new implementation, the CoEL, but it is a very important part of the revised EYFS, and needs to be has important, if not more important than any other part of it. If you are doing OAP then in my opionion it should be included. The reason i feel this, is because a way in which a child does something, or maybe doesn't do something is important to record. Encouraging a child to, for example, explore more whilst doing an activity, or ask lots of questions, and want to know why, showing thier interested in something and wanting to learn more is great and this should be encouraged and worked on..pushed and is a great thing to record.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)