Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Qualified Teachers In Children's Centres

Heyjude

You will be working in one of the four centres in Thurrock right.

I used to work in Thurrock as KS1 teacher and have kept an interest in what is happening there. My sister's family still live there and during Feb half-term, I visited the Flagship Centre where Catherine works and that seems to be similar to how we run, with one qualified teacher in the Centre and a team of Nursery staff.

We are undergoing a lot of changes in Salford at the moment and my centre's building work is nearly finished. Our expensive new garden will be open any day now. Hoping to have an opening ceremony, where children can cut the ribbon etc (any ideas please for a grand opening). We will also have a community cafe, conference rooms, medical rooms, Under 2s room, creche etc. Should all be finished in June but don't know when we will be taking babies/toddlers and fee-paying places etc.

Personally, I found teaching in this environmnet very different to teaching in a classroom. I found the managemnt and leadership initially difficult (only because it is my first management position) but the SEN work extremely rewarding. I get paid on Teacher's pay and conditions with two management points (I am curriculum leader and SENCo and as we have a child in need criteria - the SENCO side of things is quite a big job). I work full-time with children and split my time across the rooms. I do get one day as non-contact time for managment/PPA/SEN related work but that is never enough to get things done. So I do stay on at work or take things home. The planning is alot easier than when I taught in school. Only because staff plan at the end of the day on a daily basis, following the child's lead, using BTTM and FSD. I audit planning and have also done LTP and MTP but in consultation with staff team. I cover lunch with the children throughout the week, when needed, to let staff have additional non-contact time (as they are responsible for updating their keyworker children's profiles).

I think my job will change onto Soulbury scale. At the moment I am counted in ratios (1:4 Under 3s and 1:8 Over 3s). In some settings, being only teacher can be initially hard as are on different terms and pay scales and hours, as rest of staff. Probaby also getting paid quite alot more than nursery staff. We are open all year round but I get school holidays - initially had comments like "Oh, you are off on holiday again" which I initially took personally. It is hard being out of the centre for six weeks over summer when lots can happen in that time, such as development/reorganisation work that as the teacher should be involved with.

I have handed my notice in and am going to work overseas teaching a Reception class. Not because I dislike the job I am doing - far from it. But as terms and conditions are changing onto Soulbury etc and things in my personal life, it felt like the right time to make a move. I am already thinking that when I return from overseas I will be looking out for jobs within Early Years - possibly Children's Centres or Foundation Stage Units. I have learnt so much where I am, particularly around leading a staff team and teaching 0-2 year olds. My teaching qualification states 3 - 11 year olds with an emphasis on Early Years 3 - 8 and this was my first experience with Under 3s.

I am sure I have left alot out and please feel free to PM me for more detail or specific queries. All centres run differently and have a different intake of children but I hope I can help and hopefully give a balanced view.

Hi leedwa - I shall be starting in September as a QT in a CC and would value any advice or insight that would help me!

Heyjude

55289[/snapback]

hi leedwa i would also appreciate any advice and info. feeling quite nervous about the change i am about to make!!

HI

Have already added info about my job and initial difficulties I faced working as part of large team in a centre open all year round. There are ups and downs as with any job. It took me a long time to settle into job, as it was my first SENCo and management responsiblity. It is a very different role to teaching in a classroom. It is like being Foundation Stage Co-ordinator, Senior Manager and SENCo.

Suse - I have PMed you (same as info I have included below)

Hi

I have already added a brief overview of post. Here is some more, may have duplicated some things. If there is anything particular you want to know/ask, feel free. My job does seem to be different to new Children's Centre posts I have seen advertised. I am centre based and counted in ratios. Some teachers do some outreach work but mainly centre based.

We have four Early Years Centres, all with child in need admission criteria. One teacher in each. There is a Manager, Deputy and Resource Manager (resource manager leads things like parent toddler group, toy library, childminder group etc) and Nursery Officers/Nursery Assistants. All Nursery staff in my centre are NNEB or just passed Level 3. My manager is waiting for her interview for position as our Children's Centre Manager. (I think there may be new staffing structure - possibly ChildCare Manager and an Education /Curriculum Manager and also possibly room leaders in rooms - though as yet we know nothing for definite, all rumours). We will be opening an Under 2s room and employing more staff.

The teacher is responsible for leading and monitoring the curriculum. Other centres have an under 3s room and an Over 3s room. We have two rooms with mixed ages from 2 - 5, so cover both BTTM and FSD in our planning and organisation. Teachers lead part of weekly staff meeting and lead team/room meetings.

The teacher teaches in both the under 3s and over 3s rooms, to ensure coverage of curriculum and to monitor what is actually happening in rooms etc. I work in a Centre that has mixed ages from 2 - 5, so I teach throughout the age range. I also change nappies although I know a few teachers have refused to do this or not been included in rota for that area (some centres have staff permanently based in areas over a week to ensure planning is led by child and staff can build on children's interests and then swap round. For instance, areas such as imaginative area, book area, exploratory, malleable, block area, heuristic play/sensory area etc.

Teachers do not keywork children. The nursery staff are responsible for keeping profiles on each child. Profiles include observations, photographs, examples of work set out under six areas of learning or 4 aspects of BTTM depending on child's age(incidentally this will probably change when Early Years Foundation Stage comes out - depending on how they lay it out). However, it would be teacher's responsiblity to monitor these and ensure what is written is relevant and in some cases (with some of my staff) they are including enough etc. Keyworkers also write and share progress sheets and transition reports but with the support of teacher when needed. All transition reports are read by me before sharing with parents and sending on to school.

SEN is big part of my job. I am currently sorting out dates for transition meetings. I chair meetings, attend Child Development Team Panel/Review meetings. I complete statementing info. I consult with EPS, SALT, OT/PT etc . I lead inset training, where applicable.

Each Centre will work differently but that is an overview of what currently happens in my setting and other local settings.

Thanks Leedwa I think I am going to be based in centre and expect to have a teaching role for most of my time although at this point details are not at all clear! At moment I am preparing very large file of policies and procedures ready for ofsted registration! Our building is not yet complete but due to open in september and I am currently finding it very difficult to get sensible information out of anyone!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)