Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

PECS cards

I am looking for some basic PECS crads...........'sit' join the group' was hands etc, simple things, to enable our very youngest children to have a 'voice'..........any idea where I can downlaod some suitable ones please?? I keep finding pages with loads of stuff, but nothing quite what I'm after

Sorry to be dumb, but what are Pec cards? I have some routine cards, which have the daily routines on them. Are they anything like that?

Kerry

Picture Exchange Communication System - a system which allows a non verbal child the spontaneity of free speech by using image cards to communicate their needs/ideas/feelings etc but actually any symbol cards would probably do, its just that PECs is a standardised system which is used in schools as well and so would be familiar to a child if they were already using this in early years

Ooohh hope you don't mind me pinching your thread but could I ask a question about using these cards please.

Last week for the first time we have been asked to use some of these for a child with no speech (aged 3.5yrs) however as all our resources are set out each day ready for the children (total packaway group) our children never ask for any resources.

the only time we can see (at the moment, hence the question) that we can use them is at snack time BUT as the child has been with us since 2yrs it confuses him to now have to start giving a card before he helps himself.

How do you start to use these cards?

Sorry i don't have any to give, as our speech therapist gave us a few.

Just to say don't call them pecs unless you are doing it in the way that the PECS folk train you to. Otherwise this is confusing if they then do use PECS.Otherwise it is just using a symbol timetable or a communication book. I would really suggest that you get proper training if you have someone who you feel could benefit from it.

pecs is quite an involved process if followed correctly and i would suggest some training is required to fully understand the benefits and pitfalls. Pecs tends to be used for children who are unlikely to communicate well verbally. If you are just using cards to support language then i would probably suggest photos of what you want them to do might work better or a makaton sign with the language associated with it. We get our pecs cards from our LDD service(or area senco if you have one)

Thumperrabbit ....what is the reason for you to use these? is it for choice making or for instruction giving etc? If you are going to 'do' pecs then the first bit of the process should be a 'reward' system so this would normally be associated with food first (not always but usually) so if a child gave me the card for biscuit they would get a biscuit EVERY time they gave it to me. If however you are using it for choice making then for continuous provision i would start with holding two toys (say car and train) and getting them to choose...this can be by eye contact/ pointing/noise etc so you are always responding to their communication.

Pecs cards are a copyrighted product so not readily available unless you buy the system so i would ask your LEA service for cards if you need them.

For a speedy way to make cards/signs (or labels for equipment etc) there is an app called 'Picture card maker'.

You take the photo on your iPhone/pad (unsure if it supports android) and it loads it in to a regular sized card. You can also use stored photos from an album. Words can be typed and then the cards can be printed.

If using a device with the child you can also voice record the word

We have a child who it's undecided which path they'll use makaton/PECS (very young, early stages of support) but SaLT signposted us to this app (with very specific instructions for its use with our child)

Finleysmaid is spot on that there is a very detailed and specific route/stages that must be embedded before moving on

Edited by gingerbreadman

• 3 weeks later...

We have used our own photographs to produce picture cards for 2 children in our setting who have complex needs, including no speech. This was on the advice of our Area Inco. We call it PECS for ease of use, and although I understand that this is a specific system intended to be used in a specific way, we have had to adapt the system in different ways to work for each of our children. We were put off buying an expensive system at this stage as we had already purchased Makaton equipment for these children which proved no benefit t them at this stage (although we are putting it to general good use). Using the cards has enabled us to give some structure to these children's day and to enable the older of the two to be more independent in our routines. I am not sure that to say you must use a specific product in a particular way is particulalry helpful. I would say use what you can and in a way that is appropriate for the child in question. Our 2 children both have autism, but they are very different in their needs.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)