Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

ENVIRONMENT TOPIC. PLEASE HELP!

Hi All,

I am doing environment topic for my Reception class on Monday 25th February.

I am being observed later in the week for 30 minutes. They want me to do a literacy lesson. How should I go about it? Also what story book can I read & what adult led activities can I do?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks you!

I read Michael recycle and litterbug doug. The children loved them and created their own superheroes through role play. One of the adult led activities was creating our own superhero and giving it a power, some wrote sentences about their hero, others labelled there hero...

... It also had the benefit of chn wanting to tidy and get rid of rubbish

J:)

Hello,

The book "dinosaurs and all that rubbish", whilst old is a good earth environment story and I've used it in many different ways.

For me though, rather than picking activities at random it's really important to have a clear sense of what learning you want to take place: can you tell us what skills you want your children to be more proficient in or new learning you know they need? Then suggestions can be more specific and age band related

Especially when being observed, if there is lots of busy activity but no actual learning then the session could probably be described as requires improvement, so I'd focus on what's the learning first in your thinking and you will probably find that ideas of how to contextualise the learning for your children will be easier to define.

What are your children interested in? what areas of provision do they currently enjoy so you can use these to embed your activities?

You say you are being asked to do a literacy lesson for 30 mins...what would you normally do?

I wouldn't be changing the normal routine for the children just for an observation. There is no prescribed methodology for delivering literacy, unless your school has a particular pedagogy they want to see. It's about effectiveness of the teaching, so new learning is evident, that matters.

Cx

Guest ChunkyMan

Hello

We tackled Environments last year and decided to concentrate on environments the children had experience of - eg. their learning environment, home environment, local evironment, the weather, hot and cold environments and recycling.

Cx

I've just read The Trouble with Dragons (sorry cant remember the author and it's in school) which talks about environmental issues too. We've been looking at dragons which is why I picked it and I thought the environment aspect might be over their heads as its quite detailed but lots of my reception class made links to the recycling conversations we had been having a couple of weeks ago.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)