Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Clock in Machine

TORO

Hi all,

I am thinking of getting a clocking machine, because of lateness in the mornings and coming back from lunches as well, do you think it is too much like big brother watching you, it is just that staff are telling me some come in late and not signing in the right time. What do you think?

Thanks.

Not sure about a clocking machine but if you see my post HR outsourcing you will see I am having similar problems. I have been told with regards lateness to document the time staff arrive/leave etc then sit down and discuss any lateness, you are within your rights to issue a concern and also dock all lateness from pay. Becomes a minfield when dealing with staff time keeping/absence!!

Kris

Not sure about a clocking machine but if you see my post HR outsourcing you will see I am having similar problems. I have been told with regards lateness to document the time staff arrive/leave etc then sit down and discuss any lateness, you are within your rights to issue a concern and also dock all lateness from pay. Becomes a minfield when dealing with staff time keeping/absence!!

Kris

And this is why we (as managers) never get anything done!

It does seem a bit like big brother as it's early years, but it's an accepted way in some professions...will you have grief at th other end of the day...giving them ammunition/proof that they never finish on time?

I do deduct - often have to change signing in time when checking up on hour sheets as staff just automatically record normal time even if arrive 10 mins later than should !!

Gingerbreadman has a point though...although mine tend to stop dead on time whether everythings done or not so I end up finishing off :-(

If they worked for Tesco or many other big companies the staff would have to clock in and out and be penalised for poor timekeeping , why should they as 'professional' childcare staff think they need to do any less. Shoddy timekeeping is the beginning of a slippery slope if it's allowed to be unchallenged and can cause a lot of resentment with other staff...

• Like 1

You are right Redjayne there is resentment going on, ie this person came in late and they are not called in blah blah, i dont want to grass on others etc etc, want can you do when staff tells you that, i called them in when i see them come in late, but cannot pull those i do not see!!. They dont see 10 or 5 mins late as being late, and there has been occassions when parents had to wait for staff to get in due to Health and Safety.

l was told this off the record because staff did not want to be seen as grassing <_<

You are right Redjayne there is resentment going on, ie this person came in late and they are not called in blah blah, i dont want to grass on others etc etc, want can you do when staff tells you that, i called them in when i see them come in late, but cannot pull those i do not see!!. They dont see 10 or 5 mins late as being late, and there has been occassions when parents had to wait for staff to get in due to Health and Safety.

l was told this off the record because staff did not want to be seen as grassing <_<

it's like being back at school isn't it!!

I'm feeling a little better that it appears more commonly than I imagine ...I often have this idealistic view of others settings that all runs smoothly, all staff are on your side and on board with the ethos- everyone has a professional outlook parents don't complain about daft things

It doesn't matter how many times it's said that I have only one pair of eyes and lots of things on the go and that I cannot notice everything so that if someone else does it is their responsibility to raise it and then it will get sorted it just never happens...and yet they still feel compelled to whine among others however, I do strategically request that as soon as said slack member of staff comes back off their lunch I need to see them about some random thing so I can spot check

We don't pay overtime at the other end of the day because usually it ends up everyone is late because several people end up on a go slow unless I can see that it's been a genuine issue

Edited by gingerbreadman

Gingerbreadman has a point though...although mine tend to stop dead on time whether everythings done or not so I end up finishing off :-(

It's as if they think that we don't want to go home on time either!

eee honestly...wonder if this (timekeeping) gets hammered home in college

eee honestly...wonder if this (timekeeping) gets hammered home in college

sadly I don't think very much gets 'hammered home' in college anymore.... :( :(

we have a L3 student just started with us- been on the course since Sept- they did not know what the EYFS is.. and they could be fully qualified by July... :angry:

.............. but that's a whole other thread :D (not meaning to hijack this one!)

sadly I don't think very much gets 'hammered home' in college anymore.... :( :(

we have a L3 student just started with us- been on the course since Sept- they did not know what the EYFS is.. and they could be fully qualified by July... :angry:

.............. but that's a whole other thread :D (not meaning to hijack this one!)

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :o :o :o :angry: :angry: :angry: :( :( :( and lots more emoticons!!