Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

CCTV in nursery

TORO

I can't help on the cost aspect I'm afraid. We have installed CCTV cameras from a security point of view. We have cameras in the outside area, outside the main entrance and our entrance hall. We do not have cameras in the room (we just have one hall) where the children are. We have a screen in the room that shows images from each camera. Certainly worth it for peace of mind. Our entrance door is a solid door with no way of seeing who is ringing the bell! We just looke up at the screen and can immediately see it is a parent (or maybe not as the case may be!)

I think it depends why you are considering installing it? What do you hope to gain from it? I am intrigued as to why you are thinking of having it in all rooms?

We have had webcam in our rooms for the last 7 years and our parents love being able to log in and watch their child at play and I can use it from my office to observe practise. Is this the kind of thing you were thinking of?

It was a couple of thousand to install and costs me £30 a month for Nurserycam to maintain and administer the security. I have 4 cameras and parents have a secure password to log on, I can monitor all users from my master screen and I can instantly see if anyone is trying to break into the system,not that anyone has tried in 7 years. My parents love it although not all sign up to it but I think it gives them peace of mind to know that we can be that transparent and open to scrutiny during all sessions. We have had parents away in the military being able to watch as well as grandparents on the other side of the world, the cost of being able to use the webcam is incorporated into the additional services charge

Guest sn0wdr0p

I paid about £360 in January for my system which includes 6 cameras (from Makro). Fortunately my husband fitted it so that saved me some money. There had been some threads on here last year about unfounded allegations against staff which made me decide to purchase a system. I have shown parents some footage regarding their 9 year old sons behaviour and it was an eye opener for them and I have also used it for staff training and reflection.

When my husband gets time he is also going to set it up so I can view from home.

I must admit that when I first got it I couldn't stop watching the monitor on my desk - it was a bit like watching reality TV but without the bitchiness. I can watch small views of all the rooms or just have one room on the screen.

Hi,

just curious. Why do you need them? Is it so the parents can watch their children or something else?

Kerry

I had it installed for just that reason and so that we can show parents that we are totally transparent about what we do during the 6 hours their child is with us. Most of our parents sign up but not all actually log on, i think its more about the fact that they can if they want to rather than them spending hours (well 15 minutes at a time) watching.

• 5 years later...

Hi all.read your posts with interest as I have installed cctv through all rooms, front drive, back garden …...mainly for childrens safety and good practice......however since staff changes last  year and early this year my new staff are saying it is illegal to film them while they are working....need advice please...since I have retired from the nursery I am not happy with how they work phones being used,sitting around, no interaction with children etc,...… Iegal side of it ...does anyone know please    ??? Thanks 

1 hour ago, tish501 said:

Hi all.read your posts with interest as I have installed cctv through all rooms, front drive, back garden …...mainly for childrens safety and good practice......however since staff changes last  year and early this year my new staff are saying it is illegal to film them while they are working....need advice please...since I have retired from the nursery I am not happy with how they work phones being used,sitting around, no interaction with children etc,...… Iegal side of it ...does anyone know please    ??? Thanks 

Forget the cctv for a minute, did I just read that right, that staff have their phones with them and go on them at work? 😮 I am shocked, do you not have a mobile phone policy in place? ( I am sorry if I have misunderstood what you wrote and have got the wrong end of the stick).  

13 hours ago, tish501 said:

How is your manager dealing with this? If I knew this was happening in my nursery that would be my first port of call rather than the CCTV. I would be asking about observations of staff, staff knowledge of key children, adherence to the setting's safeguarding policies. With regards to the CCTV, looking at Finleysmaid's link (above) if staff know what you are filming and why then it is OK - you said it was for 'children's safety and good practice), I would say the 'good practice' covers your concerns - but I would still be speaking to the manager in charge as ultimately you have given them the position of responsibility in your absence.

Let us know how you get on :)