Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Manager / deputy

Hi, I am the manager of a day nursery, I have a full time deputy who i feel does a decent job. The owner of the nursery wants to employ a nursery secretary, the thing is they want the secretary to stand in for me on my days off as they are not to keen on my deputy. The thing is I said the secretary should be at least NVQ 3 in childcare if shes going to stand in for me, but they say not.

As Sunnyday said and show them this

Pg 17 of the Statutory Framework!

3.21 In group settings, the manager must hold at least a full and relevant15 level 3 qualification and at least half of all other staff must hold at least a full and relevant level 2 qualification. The manager should have at least two years’ experience of working in an early years setting, or have at least two years’ other suitable experience. The provider must ensure there is a named deputy who, in their judgement, is capable and qualified to take charge in the manager’s absence.

I have just been though this as my Manager will be going on MAT Leave for 4 weeks. The Deputy Manager does not have to have Level 3. My Deputy will be qualified in April as a Level 3 and they have told me that she can stand in for the Manager provided there is another Level 3 person in the nursery, which there are 2. Hope this does not confuse you further. The lady at OFSTED actually checked with an inspector too!