Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

new GLD guidance

Hi all, I have copied and pasted this from the DfE website today:

Following trials of the new EYFSP assessment over the summer, the Government has now set out how the new Good Level of Development measure will be defined. From 2013, children will be defined as having reached a good level of development at the end of the EYFS if they achieve at least the expected level in:

• the early learning goals in the prime areas of learning (personal, social and emotional development; physical development; and communication and language) and;
  • the early learning goals in the specific areas of mathematics and literacy.

As Dame Clare Tickell’s review of the EYFS made clear, the prime areas of learning are essential for children’s healthy development. The Government also believes that a good foundation in mathematics and literacy is crucial for later success, particularly in terms of children’s readiness for school. We want to encourage schools to strengthen children’s knowledge and understanding in all these important areas.

However, all areas of learning within the EYFS are important and the GLD measure will be supported by a measure of the average of the cohort’s total point score across all the early learning goals in order to also help to promote the attainment of all children across all the early learning goals.

Does anyone know what they mean by the "total point score across all the ELGs"? I didn't think we had points anymore! Help!

Hi Popcornpie,

I think they have just released the assessment document and it said that a child that is 'emerging' in that ELG will score 1, an 'expected' child will score 2 for that ELG and an 'exceeding' will score 3 in that ELG. So I guess the equivalent of 6 points in each area is now 2 points for each ELG?!

Edited by RosieC

I just saw this too - I am confused too - but I looked at the ARA and there is a table with 1 2 3 A relating to emerging, expected, exceeding and absent or disapplied. so it may be that we have to add up the equivalent scores - but interested to know what others think too.

Thank you Rosie C and Acon - I have just found the table in the ARA. I think these probably are the points referred to. It was only a matter of time before a numerical score was attached to the profile I suppose!

The assessment and reporting arrangements (ARA), which has been available since November although updated as it had a few errors in December is the document that outlines the requirements of the statutory assesments for every key stage.

You have to use the numerical coding to report the data.This will then be totalled and averaged by the number of children.You will be given an overall point score for the cohort, not individuals. The total scores using the numerical values for your cohort will be divided by the total number of children to give a unique points score for each school. The average in the pilots was around 32. This will not be reported as far as I understand as an individual league table outcome nationally but obviously LAs will have their local data tables etc against the national/LA outcomes as they always have.

Children will be judged individually in relation to getting the expected outcome in PSED, C+L, PD and C and M ELG s for a GLD. This = 13/17 ELGs. So just like you submitted a number of points you will submit a coding to indicate what a child has attained.

Cx

thanks catma do you have the link for this please? i was expecting my little 'reception' one to have moved on but there is now no school place so he is with me to the end of the year(with no idea of where he;s going in september yet!!) so i will now have to do his end of year ....Ho HUMM!

Hey Finlaysmaid, Everything you need is here

Any questions re EYFSP 2013, PM me if you want!

Cx

Thanks catma may well do...the problem with being pre-school and doing eyfsp is we tend to be forgotten when it comes to advice/training etc...tend to find i just get on with it (and ask questions here!! ;) )

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)