Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Maths Observation

Hi everyone, not posted on here for a while and I am in desperate need of inspiration.

I have found out today I am to be observed on Monday in maths (maths is my weakest subject area) I have planned a one off week on Chinese New Year. My children are fabulous at counting, adding, doubling etc using objects but they are still finding number recognition past 10 difficult which is now starting to hinder their progress in calculation past 10.

I love the idea of using number through ordinal number of the chinese new year animal story (the race) to practice number recogntion but I am concerned that if i use this as a whole class activity starter (which I will be expected to show) then it may be quite boring for the children, as they will just be sat watching/ listening to a story. Even if I use puppets (i have 30 children) the children will not be actively engaged in the story or doing any maths - does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could make this more mathematical and engaging or any other activities I could use in my lesson start?

I am fine with my CP and adult led activites but I feel I am having a total mind block over my starter!

Thanks, EmieJ

Guest ChunkyMan

Hi EmieJ

How about something to do with money - it's good luck to give money etc isn't it for Chinese New Year?

Cx

Thanks, for the reply, I had thought about money but unsure how to link this in to my children's next step of recognising and ordering numbers past 10. x

If you have already read the story with the children, could you not just have smallish pictures of the animals which you order with the children and then label them?

You could have this as an independent activity afterwards too?

Have you got a number line on display and maybe a 100 square to support this next step?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)