Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Celebrations Topic

Hi I have Reception / Nursery mixed am starting a mini topic on celebrations on Monday and being observed (NQT) and I just really need some inspiration. We are talking 1st about what is a celebration, what do we do at a celebration then talking about chinese new year as we have 1 child who speaks chinese and she celebrates it at home (she has taken home the bear and I have prompted mum to write in here that they are planning it at home). The thing is if I discuss celebrations during the initial carpet time what would you suggest to be a good and interesting adult led activity to follow on, I don't want to show them a book about chinese new year on the 1st day as I want them to think about what they want to find out about Chinese new year 1st, any help on good questioning or activites or any advice will be gratefully received!? x

I can't read and go but I am sure there will be more folk out there with great ideas!

First I would have something like a table laid for a small party with party cups and plates a balloon with say 4 / 5 on it and a few birthday cards. Children hopefully will come in and ask why it is ther? What is it for? Who is it for? They are then hooked in and I'd have a story in my head about a party and then introduce the word celebration. I would then in my key person groups brainstorm what other celebrations we know about and take my ideas from there!

Celebrations will be a little abstract for some children so I would go in from where they are. Having a Chinese child in you class will be excellent and make the whole thing come to life. Would their family be happy to come in and talk to the children?

Just a few thoughts late at night!!!

Lorna

I definetly agree with Lorna and go with a birthday theme ,it's something they can relate to and a first hand experience for them . Could you make it the bears birthday and then from that they could make cakes from play dough , add candles ( cut straws for this if you haven't got candles) and make birthday cards, wrapping presents, wrap a present can they guess what it is from the shape? etc then I'd move onto other celebrations at a later date . From past experience the children are quickly engaged with birthday things!

Guest tinkerbell

oops I lost my post !Birthdays is a brilliant way in to the Celebrations topic.I think some festivals can be a bit abstract and the Festivals DVD I find is a good way in for my reception class.I would start by asking the children what they knew about Chinese New Year,China,Chinese food??? and would get my TA to write down the responses....I would then show the children the DVD and make a big mind map with them of things they want to do and questions they would like to finds the answers to.

I've also used the CBeebies Let's Celebrate clips to share children's views of festivals. Prompted lots of discussions and the children could see lots of links between the different celebrations and between them and their experiences.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)