Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Cooking and the framework

Hi I am new to EYFS forum and also fairly new to early years teaching. I would like to do some cooking with my FS1 children for my observation next week but I'm finding it hard to work out which statements from Development Matters would fit and what my objectives for the focused session would be. Can anyone advise, I know cooking with children is a great learning experience and wonderful for language development but i need something a little more specific for my obs.

Any advice greatly received : )

How about ...

CL: L&A - Is able to follow directions (if not intently focused on own choice of activity)

CL: U - Responds to simple instructions,

Responds to instructions involving a two-part sequence

PD: M&H - Uses one-handed tools and equipment

Shows increasing control over an object in pushing, patting, throwing, catching or kicking it

Uses simple tools to effect changes to materials

Handles tools, objects, construction and malleable materials safely and with increasing control 40-60+m

HSC - Understands that equipment and tools have to be used safely

L: R -
Shows interest in illustrations and print in books and print in the environment

Knows information can be relayed in the form of print

Knows that print carries meaning and, in English, is read from left to right and top to bottom

Just some to be going on with! Need to dash, but look under UW - changes?

Sorry, but something has happened to the layout (that's what happens when you try to copy and paste!!)
Edited by Guest

or understanding of the world (world)

• Can talk about some of the things they have observed such as plants, animals, natural and found objects

• Talks about why things happen and how things work x

Think of cooking as a cross curricular activity in which the prime areas underpin the experience but also as a vehicle to deliver a specific identified key skill - maybe recognising numerals or letter shapes on a very simple recipe, or counting the toppings upto a certain number or even recognising simple shapes by when using cutters.

That's how I plan for it anyway. I may be wrong.

Edited by ChrisAR

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)