Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Suggestions For New Recipes......

catma

I am vegetarian(the sort that doesn't eat meat but does eat fish).My general approach is more ready steady cook than planned, whatever is in the cupboard until i'm forced to go to the supermarket again. I have a fairly wide repertoire of standards - you know, the kind of thing you can put together without even thinking- but am getting bored of them. Can't be bothered with buying any new cookery books as I have so many anyway and have used a fraction of the recipes in them. SO, anyone got any yummy, easy, vegetarian cosy comfort food recipes that can be slung together with relatively little effort after a day at work??? Just fancy a change from the usual!!

Cx :o

Do you do a risotto? This is my daughters favourite and comfort food. We usually do it with chicken but do also have a vegetarian option when my son is home. I always use proper risotto rice, makes it very creamy, and any vegetables that are in the fridge. It's almost like a savoury rice pudding-but nicer!!

Linda

Roaster vegetables in pitta bread. If I'm on a diet I put balsamic vinegar on the veg before roasting, but they are scrummier with a dollop of olive oil as well. On a bad day I add mozarella cheese about 5 minutes from the end of cooking.

Barb

agree with the risotto, sadly my rabble here arent big rice fans.

Im like you catma, except that i dont eat fish either, fajitas are really quick, we have a griddle on the cooker and Ill bung on anyhitng ive got. As we grow a lot of our own veg, its a case of whats ready to pick today? (beans with everything at the moment). Cous cus is really quick to and mixes well with any veg and pumpkin seeds.

Inthe winter we do bung it all in caserole, leave it in the oven whilst we do other stuff..take a while to cook but not much prep time.

Not very helpful really, I cant follow a recipe to save my life, Id lose the will to live b efore I read through the ingredienst so tend to make it up as I go along..much more fun..

Fajita's are great and easy. I get guacamole, salsa, sour cream and tortilla's most weeks from Tesco's . Fry up some peppers, onion and mushrooms with fajita seasoning. Serve with grated cheese too and off you go.

The rissotto I cook is easy too. Fry mushrooms, peppers, celery and aubergine together. Add rice and water with stock cube and cook. Add cubed mozarella just before serving and let the cheese melt slightly before serving.

Stir fry's with noodles. Mine are generally a combination of mangetout, baby sweetcorn, mushrooms, onion, Pak choi, peppers (depending on what I have in!) with Thai seasoning, soya sauce and lime or lemon juice flung in at the end.

I also do a vegetable soup which is basically whatever I have in (generally onion, leeks, carrots, celery, potato and cauliflower). Fry the vegetables first then add water and stock cubes and cook till the vegetables are soft. Liquidise it with a hand blender and add more liquid if necessary. I have this with the Tesco's share and tear cheese bread which is just delicious. :D

For Friday evening I wanted to make a cheesecake for 6 people. (Have to admit I have never made one myself) :o It needs to be simple, easy, but look and taste impressive. I also have to transport it to a friends.I know this is a variation on the original posting but I am hoping someone can help.... please! :):)

Sue J

well, funnily enough...haven't made it but nearly did the other day so you can test it out if you want! Comes from Nigel slaters Observer monthly column.

Simple passion fruit cheescake serves 8

Butter 100g

ginger biscuits 400g

mascarpone 250g

icing sugar 75g

a vanilla pod

creme fraiche 400ml

double cream 300ml

wrinkly passion fruits 4

melt butter in small pan, bash biscuits until crumbs and stir into butter tip into 22cm loose bottomed cake tin and flatten. Refrigerate for hour or so or speed it up in the freezer.

put mascarpone and icing sugar in bowl of food mixer and beat smooth. Scrape out vanilla seeds and add to mix, with the creme fraiche.

whip cream until it stands in soft folds. stir gently into mascarpone mixture. Scrape into cake tim and cover with clingfilm. Chill for good hour.

To serve remove from cake tin and squeeze passion fruit seeds and juice over the top.

Calorie content: too huge to contemplate

Feel good factor: off the scale

:D:D:D:D:D

Hi, sorry to hijack Catma's post, but I was wondering if any of you cook chicken curry. I've been looking for a recipie that makes it look lovely and creamy, but all I've found so far are ones which use a tomato based sauce which doesnt taste very nice :o

Any ideas??

G.