Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

school nurseries - gritting

just wondering what your caretaker does in terms of gritting. yesterday our rubber surface was really slippy with all the compacted snow. the concrete area had patches of black ice. this was after the caretaker had gritted. we had lots of complaints from parents and one girl slipped over on a patch of black ice. we had to grit to enable the children to play outside, as ours really need/like to be outside. should he just grit a narrow pathway or our whole outside area? we have only had a tiny amount of snow. what do yours do?

Ours has brought us a bag of grit and we do the playgound ourselves!! He grits the path to the main door and that's it!!

I have posted about our spongey surfce tonight!! It's frozen solid and covered in frozen compacted snow and not safe to be out - looking for clues as to how others overcome this!

your post prompted mine!! how depressing that our schools do not value outdoor play. if i were head i would insist that all fs areas were gritted............. nice to know that i am not alone though........... x

have to say I have to sympathise with the caretaker as i too was one - I did my upmost to grit as much as possible but is a huge task on your own and if you do not have a grit spreader !!! the insurance policy probably states that the important factor is to make sure all pathways into and out of school are gritted. There are legalities concerned with insurance policies in which if you grit an area and someone slips they can make a claim stating its not been done properly so therefore they are probably only obliged to do main areas. At our preschool in village hall the council lease the carpark so it is public use during day - therefore councils' responsibility to grit car park but I did get grit bin filled and do only the porch path and our yard myself -

our school won't grit nursery playground as it is too expensive! i did manage to get a small bag but it does not go far in this prolonged weather

no because ironically although schools are council they still expect it to come out of schools own budget !

this seems to be a problem for us all then. but keeping children in for whole session would be horrendous, so we end up doing it and using grit. caretaker is paid for 2 hours 15 mins each morning. i would argue that this is time enough to grit. and it looks bad on us if parents complain and children are hurt before school .................

• some schools won't grit, because as soon as you do you are then liaible if someone has an accident. Common practice for schools to keep older children in when playgrounds are not safe. Management can't make the outdoor is important leap. If you are unable to provide the full curriculum is there an arguement for saying that the nursery should remain closed?

don't think my head would like this!!!!!!!!!! i just feel sorry for our children. cooped up all morning when they love freeflow. they do get bored inside eventually. and with 10 new rising 3's started this week the older ones are not getting much time and attention. :angry: :(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)