Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Guided reading

Guest Anje

Hi Could anyone help me please. I am trying to find the best way to record Guided Reading in Reception. I have tried a few different formats but they all fall short of what I want, they are too formal.

Thanks in advance x

Anje

We have an A4 pices of paper for each child with four columns.

We record book title, date and staff initials, then have a blank line to record children's response to the book and how they did with the teaching points particular to it.

We just put brief notes, then any next step noticed for a particular child is entered into the Next Steps book so all staff members can follow up.

No idea if that's right or wrong, it's just what we do!

Hope it helps

Edited by marywilliam

Sorry to hi jack a thread...but can I ask you what is a 'next step book'? Does each child have one and do you record each child's indvidual next step across the curriculum in them?

Thanks

Ruth

Hi i have just revamped mine and am having a go with this one the idea being that I highlight DM reading on the left when I have felt it achieved during sessions. My school has an agreed format for guided reading across the school but this didn't extend to EYFS so I have adapted what is used further up the school. I enlarge it to A3Guided Reading record Reception 6 children.docx

hope it helps

Deb

Sorry to hi jack a thread...but can I ask you what is a 'next step book'? Does each child have one and do you record each child's indvidual next step across the curriculum in them?

It's just a book in which we note any particular next step a child may need to be addressed differently from the rest of the group - for guided reading it might be someone who hasn't orientated the book correctly while the rest of the group does. This is, of course, addressed with the child at the time, but also noted so all staff can keep an eye open for him in the book corner for example and see what he does. we just make very brief notes of any follow-up.

That feels as clear as mud, but hope it helps

Deb - thanks this is really clear, I like the individual nature of it - I assume that the columns are for different sessions - is that right?

I've attached mine - unfortunately I can only find the version I used with my Y1s last year but I'm sure you'll get the idea - just replaces APP assessment focus with DM statements.

My notes tending to be very brief and frequently cryptic for all except me - sometimes just 'Child's name?!' or a 'wow' next to them.

Guided Reading Blank - Y1.doc

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)