Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Inset For Ks1 And 2 Staff About Foundation Stage

surfer

Some activities I have used recently are :

1) An ice breaker, a quiz about the FS, things like how many areas of the curriculum are there, what do you call someone who works in the FS etc etc. Usually results in much scratching of heads, but then as the meeting progresses they get the answers and I go back over the questions at the end to see who's been listening!!! Can also be given out as people arrive so there is no hanging around.

2) Taking the 30 aspects of the curriculum - found in "planning for the foundation stage" (ie in KUW there is investigation and exploration, a sense of time, a sense of place, ICT etc etc) - and putting them on slips of card. Then they can be used to sort into either the 6 areas of the FS curriculum OR the NC subject areas. Doing this helps staff understand that the FSC is wide ranging and not just CLL/MD, or that it does infact feed into later subjects. Usually lots of discussion about where to put "imagination" (CD).

3) Using the building a picture (think it was that one, it's in the toolkit anyway) CD and adapting the commentary sheets so that as they watch the video they can write in what area of the curriculum they think is being developed, thus showing how learning is not compartmentalised. The clip aout the vets role play is good for this.

4) Giving a break down of a role play area that is being set up, what resources are in it, what books are being used to develop ideas, what prior input children have had etc etc and then getting staff to discuss how they could support learning if they were asked to go into the role play area and work with a group of children and what they might see. Worked well with LSA's.

hope this is useful

Cx

I carried out the training for continuing the learning journey on Friday. I presented it to 65 people who were a mix of TAs NNs teachers the head and deputy. I thought that it was a very good training package and everything is laid out for you (it even gives you the answers to the question you ask). Show how links can be made between Y1 and YR. Well worth looking at!!