Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Next Steps

Hi all

I wonder if anyone could share how they plan for these, how often they do them and some examples of what they are please.

This is an area that ties us in knots!

All help gratefully appreciated

Debster

We have a next step sheet in the back of every learning story, each key person is responsible for keeping them up to date and making sure they provide activities/resources etc etc to enable the children to move on etc. I've attached one of my current ones, each staff member adds the resources to the group weekly planning sheet. Hope it makes sense!

We add interests/next steps as and when they appear to be needed but at least once every term - more if we can see a child has reached the next step. :1b

plods - Copy.doc

sorry I should have said we add something for every child to the planning at least once a week - sounds a lot but many of us have the same provision for numerous children (possibly slightly altered for different children) so we quite often have an item on the planning once but it can be there for multiple children but used in a different way e.g. paint in trays may be out for one of my children for writing, another child for colour mixing and another child for describing textures - same provision but for different next steps (If you see what I mean!)

Thanks for sharing your next steps sheet mrsbat - I really like it. Very clear and seems MANAGEABLE.

I have struggled (as I think many of us have) in finding a next steps systems which does the job but is manageable. You seem to have a good system in place that also offers the flexibility of having a couple of next steps, and changing them when it suits the individual.

Could I ask, where you have put 'provision' - would you mention things that are always out? For example, in the first row you have 'boxes, den frame, sheets...' under your provision column - these are things that we would have out as basic provision so would you write this in as a way of recording what resources you would be encouraging that particular child to use? Or would you only record extra 'enhancement' resources?

Thanks so much

Green Hippo x

Thanks for sharing your next steps sheet mrsbat - I really like it. Very clear and seems MANAGEABLE.

I have struggled (as I think many of us have) in finding a next steps systems which does the job but is manageable. You seem to have a good system in place that also offers the flexibility of having a couple of next steps, and changing them when it suits the individual.

Could I ask, where you have put 'provision' - would you mention things that are always out? For example, in the first row you have 'boxes, den frame, sheets...' under your provision column - these are things that we would have out as basic provision so would you write this in as a way of recording what resources you would be encouraging that particular child to use? Or would you only record extra 'enhancement' resources?

Thanks so much

Green Hippo x

Hiya, unfortunately we are a packaway setting and cannot keep anything out and because of storage issues everything has to be dismantled so we rotate what we have out but yes if it was something that was in regular use we would still write it on the planning so we can show a next step is being provided for - if that makes sense lol!

Hiya, unfortunately we are a packaway setting and cannot keep anything out and because of storage issues everything has to be dismantled so we rotate what we have out but yes if it was something that was in regular use we would still write it on the planning so we can show a next step is being provided for - if that makes sense lol!

Yes, makes perfect sense, thanks.

Do you have a 'master sheet' anywhere for all staff to see? I think I am finally feeling a bit clearer on the 'next steps' issue with the help of a few people on here!

Just trying to find the best way of making sure that all staff are aware of all children's next steps.

Thanks, Green Hippo x

Yes, makes perfect sense, thanks.

Do you have a 'master sheet' anywhere for all staff to see? I think I am finally feeling a bit clearer on the 'next steps' issue with the help of a few people on here!

Just trying to find the best way of making sure that all staff are aware of all children's next steps.

Thanks, Green Hippo x

We have a master planning sheet that all staff write on, I wouldn't say all staff know all the children's next steps but the key person and the buddy do and also we all write notes if we happen to see/hear something then we'll pass it on to the key person :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)