Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

rhyme book ideas

hello everyone

just woundering if anyone has come across a good rhyming book i can use to introduce to my children?

after completing a assessment on rhyming majority of the children do not know what rhyme is? majority of the children cannot think of a rhyming word? and noone can continue a rhyming string?

any book and any ideas greatly welcomed

rehana

Other than a book what other activities are you doing to support this area, are you playing things like Silly Soup to introduce the idea of rhyming words, I know this is really a letter sound activity, but we use it with rhyming objects too.

There are just so many books today with rhyming text in them, Hairy McClary books are good or Slinky Malinky, but it may depend upon the type of interests your children have to engage them really.

There are a lot of wonderful books which rely on rhythm and rhyme which you can read with your children. Read them again and again, the children will love filling in the missing rhyme once they know it well. Think of Julia Donaldson and all her books such as The Snail and the Whale, The Gruffalo etc. Also Giles Andrea, Commotion in The Ocean, Rumble in the Jungle. One Duck Stuck and others by Phyllis Root. These are just a few of the many available. Do lots of Nursery rhymes and get the chidlren to fill in the missing rhyme, or alter them and ask the children to suggest alternatives eg Humpty Dumpty sat on a chair, Humpty Dumpty saw a......

to support the rhyming area i am going to play alots of verbal games like silly soup, my rhyming hat, exposure to lots of silly rhymes and books like pat the cat, the hat and the cat, giraffes cant dance, snail and the whale, making rhyming necklaces, saying a rhyme to rhyming bear, making books etc.

but i was after a exciting and thrilling rhyming book

thank you JacquieL for your suggested books greatlt appreciated

rehana

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)