Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

The snail and the whale

Hi I'm in desperate need of some inspiration, having my first ever observation in fs2( 3rd yr teaching previously yr 1+2) I have lost all faith in what I'm doing and no idea if I'm doing anything right :S

I am thinking about doing the snail and the whale next week and using the 40-60/ elg objectives about writing messages for a purpose. My early years leader likes all children to be writing, so far my thoughts are for my LSA to do some snail trail writing of the children's names with my bottom group using a gloopy glowing mix on mirrors. One group independently using the hospital role play working out how to get barnacles off the whale and writing this down for him (maybe?!) with me no idea and no idea for my other independent group - eek

Also not sure what I'm going to do in my whole class beginning or my plenary yet, hoping for some lovely ideas to get me going as my brain has turned to mush! Something wowwy with icy would be good to as that's my usual trick but again mush brain strikes.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Hi MrsLewis

This may be too late as I don't know when your observation was taking place.

Your ideas sound good and if they are things you have done before and know they care sound activities then definitely do something you feel confident in doing.

Did a little search and found this here

The writing ideas sound great....especially gloop on mirrors :D

Guest sn0wdr0p

How about postcards sent from the places they go to around the world.

When we did the snail and the whale we made a giant cut out of a whale which we covered with collage materials and all the children made a snail to stick onto the whale's tail.

Could you use an active world tray with ice cubes in and get a plastic whale from a toy shop to swim through them all.

Thank you for your replies, my observation is on Friday and im feeling much more confident about what im doing now, just hoping im feeling better- I have no voice left at the moment :(

• 2 years later...
Guest LOSINGTHEWILLTOLIVE

Hi there

I have used PVA glue or glitter glue pens to make secret snail trail letters on black card, perhaps shaped like a whale to be displayed - similar thing would be to get some real snails and put them on black paper to see the trails then ask the children to write to the whale and let him know you have found some more snails that want to go with him!

Hope this helps ?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)