Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Buddy System ?

just reading through some recent ofsted reports (this weeks) and one says the setting is not yet outstanding because...'there is currently no 'buddy' system in place to further support children's sense of security', then goes on to say they should develop the keyperson system further to incorporate a 'buddy' that knows the child and family as well, my question being do you all have this in place ? we don't :( we are a small staff team who know all the children very well and make it a point that it isn't always the keyperson taking care of a child's needs so that they feel secure with all staff, but maybe this isn't enough now :/

• Like 1

Hiya,

With the new EYFS their has been a bigger empasis on the Key person and working with parents- which is how it should be.

we've been exploring this situation also, because a lot of our staff are part time. But we find that the room leader is the 'buddy' for the others. It helps to keep in touch with all the families and supports parents. But i think it should be what works for you.

Good luck its a tough one!

I honestly wouldn't get too ravelled up with other setting's reports for a start!

I think that positive relationships has always had a high profile since the 2008 inception of the EYFS - if you have a working system, with more than one person knowing the children and families comfortably that should be fine, I'm sure.

• Like 1

i know you're right, been through enough inspections to know that one inspector may not even touch on something another has pulled up as needs improving, but when you read them and see some of the reasons they're not giving a setting outstanding you just think WHAT!

Edited by mouse63

I have seen this on some inspections years ago. It was something we were thinking of putting in place. If it was me, I would introduce this because if it means moving your grade from good to outstanding. I think I may have incorporated this in with our Key Person Policy.

• Like 1

I always had a buddy system, with part time children and part time workers we needed it , even though we were a small team of 5 it helped by having a named key person for almost all sessions a child attended, was a nightmare to work out at first but once used to it parents liked it as did the staff..