Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Lunchtime ratios

Hi all,

This is my first time on the forum and I am looking for some help please. I am the new co-ordinator of an Early years unit within a large primary school and I cannot find written down anywhere what the ration should be at a lunchtime with lunchtime supervisors with regards reception children. We have 2 classes of 26 children and our headteacher provides us with 2 lunchtime supervisors for 45 minutes. I am finding the behaviour of the children is affected by the afternoon session and activities and resources are being ruined during this time. I am worried that one day if there is an accident or a toileting issue we wouldn't be covered???

Thank you in advance everyone!

Hi I am similarly having this issue at lunchtimes as we have 1 lunchtime supervisor for 30 and she keeps them in our outside area at lunchtimes separate from the rest of the school ( for now) the behaviour of the children has been awful after lunch and i feel it is because she pretty much leaves them to their own devices and lets them get away with all sorts. I now consider it is unsafe in our small outside area. When I approached the head about my concerns she suggested that me and my TA took turns to help her at lunchtime which we have been doing but we're pretty resentful that were not getting a break apart from 15 mins or so to eat our lunch and no break in the morning either. The head is adamant she wants them kept separate from the rest of the school until Xmas but I don't think I can take it any longer, the same thing happens with us as well in that we set out the outside area and it gets trashed at lunchtime. Sorry cant help with ratios but to me it is all wrong that we wouldn't dream of there being any less than 2 adults with30 children who are trained and qualified normally but at lunchtime it is onto have 30 children supervised by 1 unqualified supervisor.

Deb

Am on a school site and find it unbelievable that this seems to be common practice, yet 6 weeks previously we HAD to have 4 qualified staff with the same group of 30 children......have to question what the powers that be think has changed so much in those 6 weeks that 1 adult can keep 30 children safe.

Hi and welcome Shelby Sue!

I'm going to move this into the curriculum area.

Ratios in reception are always a problem, as far as I can see. Ive never been fortunate enough to have my own lunchtime lady for my class so 1 to 30 would have been a luxury for me but neither were the children segregated as Deb describes.

Thanks to you all who have replied. I know now that others have the same issues! We have a TA and myself staggering lunchtime support at the present time, but that leads to either lack of teaching support before or after lunch. Been to the head and he sees no problem with this, just worried about how this is leading to the beginning of every afternoon being focussed on sorting out behavioural issues and lack of respect for belongings and each other! BusyBee Deb, our schools sound very similar!

Reception come under infant class size legislation and as such this takes precedence within the EYFS. They are 1:30 and can be covered by support staff as long as the HT is satisfied that they can do this for short term absences of the teacher such as PPA cover and lunch breaks, which the teacher has to have (and yes I know we usually work throught them!) under the teahers pay and conditions agreements. The cover guidance is in the 2008 non statutory guidance (p17 I think!! from memory).

Staffing ratios are minimums so you can have more if you want but this obviously costs more.

Cx

Cx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)