Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

nursery rhymes

when i had my performance management today i was discussing a phonics target with my head and mentioned many of the children have come in not knowing any rhymes, or just 1 or 2. she said don't bother wasting time teaching them. is it just me, or aren't rhymes the building blocks of understanding rhyme? it's an infant school so she should be clued up on these things. i am now confused............. and she said reception didn't use the development bands last year so it's all change for them this year. surely they should have been using them too?

when i had my performance management today i was discussing a phonics target with my head and mentioned many of the children have come in not knowing any rhymes, or just 1 or 2. she said don't bother wasting time teaching them. is it just me, or aren't rhymes the building blocks of understanding rhyme? it's an infant school so she should be clued up on these things. i am now confused............. and she said reception didn't use the development bands last year so it's all change for them this year. surely they should have been using them too?

:o :o :o :o :o That's all I have to say on the matter :blink:

Traditional nursery rhymes are not always the easiest way to recognise rhyme for little children, the rhyming words are often too far apart.

I would think more about all the lovely finger rhymes and choose some children's poetry to enhance rhyme recognition. My Little Puffin is a good source and John Foster's poems are really lovely.

Have fun and I'm sure the children will soon respond!

Keep the nursery rhymes, ditch the head.

i wish i could!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! x

thanks everyone. we use all rhymes and little puffin is my 'bible'!! we don't use old fashioned ones much - jack and jill etc. just see which ones children seem to respond to. happy and you know it is a great favoutite every year.......

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)