Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Accreditation

Guest sophie

Guest sophie

Hi everyone

Mmy setting is just starting the PLA Accreditation, I was looking at the policy forum and noticed Jan had already been through the process I've looked at your policies on the site Jan and they have been a great help do I need all of them for the Accreditation and have you got any more tips. :):)

Is anyone else doing the Accreditation or completed it, would be good to share ideas.

Sophie :oxD:(

Hi Sophie

I'm still trying to complete the Accreditation = It should have been relatively for us to get all the paperwork together - doing most it anyway just needed the evidence. But our group opens for both morning and afternoon sessions and me and my deputy have been doing the first part of the OU Foundation Degree so haven't found the time yet.

Wanted to do it a) to show we're doing a really good job and :o to get all the staff team really working togeher towards the same aims !! xD

Not worked so far - but they're all good workers - just need better management!!!!!! (from me!!!!)

Anyway re the policies - you should have a list in the Accredation booklet which gives you the policies you need for the PSLA - I think I possibly have a few more than they say. The one that threw me was the HIV/AIDS one - at first didn't want to do it as I felt it discrimatory in a way as we don't have policies for epilepsy, diabetes etc. and cross infection is covered in Health and Safety. But then I looked at a couple of things about HIV/AIDS and thought it might help set the facts out and no-one can complain if we take a child or member of staff with HIV/AIDS.

Perhaps we should set up a new thread = what would you do if you knew a child or staff member had HIV/AIDS - keep it confidential (to yourself), tell others on a 'need to know' basis?? Often wonder what I would do.

Any way good luck with the Accrediation - are any other groups in your area doing it? Where are you based? We have a few groups doing it and are supporting each other with the help of PSLA Development Workers and EYDCP.

Regards

Jan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

we have just stated going for our acceditation - based in berkshire. we have policies in place but was advised from our accreditor to get the new guide to pre school policies from the PLA which you can copy and then make into your own personalised policies. we have found this invaluable and it has really helped us to review and update on our policies ready for our accreditation.

good luck

Hello

The Pre-school that I manage is undertaking the PSLA Accreditation scheme, which has just been rejected as a scheme by the government! Apparently it needs 'tweaking'! This was the news I received whilst on a recent course from Poole (Dorset) Advisory teachers. I await more news with baited breath! I am also trying to manage my time better as I am on the O.U. Foundation Degree Course. Has anyone out there actually been accredited in a pre-school near me? I really would love to hear from you! I have used a lot of photos as part of my evidence but was told that they must not be put in the portfolio. The groups photocoying bill has also risen sky high as we frantically copy all the forms etc that we use.

Teri :o !

• 1 month later...

Is this true? Is the PSLA Accreditation Scheme not been accepted? Need to get on to this asap - have you telephoned them and asked what is happening. Would love to have a response - will get on to them asap and find out what is going on. Any feedback appreciated.

Nikki

Nikki, I don't know what the latest status is, but I don't think you need to get too worried. I believe, as Teri said, that the government wants some tweaking to bring the scheme more into line with their requirements. I don't think there's any suggestion that it will be a major obstacle or that somehow the PLA scheme will be rejected permanently.

Dear Steve

Thanks for that. I am still planning on giving them a ring just to find out what is going on - perhaps that's why they have not been chasing us for an inspection date!!! and I have been keeping a low profile as I have much too much work for my course.

Nikki

Nikki

Some informatino that might help on the PLA Accreditation scheme. As Steve says, the gov wanted some tweaks done, but as far as I am aware the PLA have done this and it should be accepted. I panicked, like you, when I heard this news, but think the PLA will sort it. After all, it's not good for them if their accreditation scheme doesn't pass. Our county education department are still OKing groups to do it and are paying for the groups- something they would not do if it was not acceptable to them.

However, it is a load of work, and even though we all have the paperwork, it still takes up loads of time. We have our portfolio finished and are now waiting for our assessor to come - she is booked for the second week back in January. I'll let you know what happens.

Mobbsters

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am just nearing the end of my accreditation, mainly doing it on my own now as most of the committee have left or dropped out - but they did do some of the work!!!

i will be sending the letter off to ask for an accessor to come and inspect this next week and i am so glad its nearly over - it has been so stressful with that and ofsted insection, i cant wait to get back to the job in hand, playing with the children!! :D

kim

Guest sophie

help begining to feel i haven't done enough have sent for assessor compiled a small folder with directions to where you can find information but thats it !!!!

we have just been Ofseded and got a good report

PLEASE can anyone tell me if i need to do more?????????????????

:oxD:(:( <_< <_< <_<

Hi Sophie

Am sure you will be fine.

Myself(supervisor) and my chair have done all our work for our accreditation. we started last November and complied a file together (like the 14 standards) on each point in the guideline book which gives us our evidence to pass.

It was a lot of hard work over xmas but once complete we have now sent out 2nd questionare to parents and are waiting for our accessor to come in at the end of April to have a pre inspection. Then if everything is ok will get her to come back for final inspection.

(have to say having a fantastic Ofsted report this week has made me feel much happier about the whole thing) but like you and kim will be glad when thats done and dusted too.. so we can get back to a normal life!!! :o

I have got the letter to request the inspection for accreditation next to me as I type this, having read your comments I am now going to post it. It can't be that bad can it?! We are due our inspection from ofsted soon so perhaps to get both things over with soon would be good.

Still would love to read comments from a group who have been accredited - anyone out there?

:D Hi Teri ......... just thought I'd let you know that since I last saw you , I've had my letter from Ofsted too !!!!!!

Think our EYDCP are going to be VERY busy over the coming weeks - mainly from me ringing them every 5 mins I expect !!!!!!!! :D

Good luck with yours !!!

Byeeeeeeee

Janice :o

Have just had a letter about our accreditation. Apparently they have tweeked it and I have just had a list of the amendments, anyone else had them yet?

Gizzy

Hello Janice at last we meet on this site! Let me know how you get on with Ofsted and I will do likewise! Hope all is well with you and I love your bouncy green monster thingy!!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I have had list of amendments today. I am thinking about starting it soon. One part of me says why bother as I have lots of children on my books. The sensible part of me says why not do it. I am in studying mode just finished doing my APEL last night. The only thing stopping me at the moment is the fact that I am expecting an OFSTED in October/November time.

Hi Bubblejack

Personally i would say do it. we started ours last October -by christmas we had collected all our evidence and having just been Ofsted inspected have done no more. Our assessor is coming in on Monday to spend the morning helping us out with any final bits ready to be inspected again!!!

The only time consuming bit is collecting all your evidence but it really isnt that much work and we found it helped with our ofsted just to make sure you dont forget to update any info. :D

Hali, Thanks for your advice I just wonder if I start it now could I finish it by July. In September I am taking over another pre-school with children, together with my own. So I shall have all these new children who have never been observed.

Did you get funding for yours. The annoying thing is that I got funding for it when I applied for lottery funds to have our garden made usable but had to give it back as my EYDCP told me I should do the APEL in case Ofsted didn't accept my qualification as they didn't know if it was acceptable either. The EYDCP know that I am very interested in the theories of "level of involvement" Tony Bertram & Christine Pascall. There is a Quality Scheme they were taking on board based on this but their funding was withdrawn. It was a shame because I think I would have found very interesting.

I need to do something interesting I found the APEL boring!!!!

hi Bublejack

Its so sad as i think Ofsted will say your qualifcation was fine.

Personally yes i think you could do it by July you would have to get moving fast though.

yes we did get funding for ours. :D

Hi

One ammendment was that each setting should have staff member go on a management training course.

Our EYDCP are working with a local college to get an nvq level 3 qualification to do it (which will some NNEBS with their issues)with 3 simple modules.

Bubblejack - the Pascal/Bertram scheme you are talking about is called the EEL project or 'effective early learning', and I think its linked to Worcester College. I am sure I have a leaflet on it somewhere if you would like me to post it to you then send me your details on a private message. From what I remember it is a minimum of 18 months and a LOT of hard work. I may have got my little wires crossed but I think I remember something about getting an Investors in Children Kitemark too...........

Yes Lisa I have just been in contact with my EYDCP and they have to wait to see if they can get funding to start this scheme in my area. For me to undertake it privately would not be viable according to my early years so I shall wait and see. I shall probably do the PSLA scheme. Thanks for help anyway.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)