Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Age Of Staff

Hi all

Well might have to see the Head about this but wanted your views first.

We are club that is now run by myself as part of school so no longer registered with OFSTED under EY or childcare register. From OFSTED info I have to run according to chidcare register even though not registered (if you see what I mean?)

Am I right in thking that the min age for childcare regsiter is 18 yrs ie

The registered person must ensure that at least two suitable persons who have attained the age of 18 are present on the premises at all times. So long as 3 staff then ok?

The registered person must ensure that any person aged under 18 caring for children is supervised at all times by a person who has attained the age of 18.Never left alone with children then ok?

For every eight children for whom the childcare is being provided, at least one person who has attained the age of 18 cares for such children.?????

I am advertising for playworker and supply playworker to work with children 4 - 11 yrs. Someone is thinking of applying who is doing a level 2 in childcare but she is 16yrs. She volunteers at preschool and the leader there sings her praises. I was possibly considering as supply staff?

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

What do you think?

From memory at a safeguarding course a couple of years ago, a 16 year old would come under our safeguarding policy (work experience etc) an 18 year old would be classed as an adult and when I asked what about a 17 year old, the answer was 'ummm...I'll have to get back to you' I never did find out.

We used to start girls at 16, they never counted in ratios and would always end up doing the cleaning etc jobs. (While the rest of us did the fun stuff, outside!!) until they were 17, by which time they counted and had done some training so were very useful - :1b

Then it became 17 was youngest to accept, so they were starting their Modern Apprenticeship.

Then - 17, when they qualify at level 2, consider if they are good enough to keep while they did L3 training.

Thanks for your thoughts! I think given the age of the children I will stick to 18 yrs. I need them to be includedin ratio. Also have just been on another safeguarding course and it applies to children up to their 18 th birthday! So perhaps its just as well.

Where would I actually find regulations for what qualifications/ratio's are required to manage breakfast /after school clubs for school and pre-school age children in a school, can just one person run it providing there are other staff somewhere on school premises ? Should that person have specific qualification or first aid training?

Hi Mouse

Are you committee run and therefore regsitered yourself with OFSTED or run by the school (in which case you are not registered with OFSTED yourself but come under the schools OFSTED inspection)?.

If you are committee you have to follow the Early Years register and the Childcare Register as well as EYFS regs. If you are school run it advises that you follow the childcare register. You can find the details below. OFSTED also said we should have copies of these available in club.

http://www.ofsted.go...-years-register

http://www.ofsted.go...tic-or-domestic

I am Exec Manager (posh title! But I do all admin, finances, support the staff, deal with parents etc,do cover when staff are sick - I am lev 3) .We are run by the Governors of the school so our OFSTED is with school (a bit of a new thing in our area). We currently have a manager and deputy, both lev 3 qualified and 3 playworkers who are level 2 and 3 qualified. There is always a first aider, and they all have been trained in safeguarding and there are others SENCo trained, food hygiene, Health and Safety etc. I would only be happy if they had received the correct training. Just being on the school site is not good enough I dont think. Our club is very busy and very big with nearly 48 kids attending at night and 36 in the mornings. We also have approx half the children at the school on roll so its a big responsibility.

Our ratios are 1;8 for the children that we accept although after 8 years there is no ratio guidance they just do not have to affect the childcare for those under 8yrs.

Hope this helps

Edited by marley

It's always been my understanding that you cannot be counted in the ratios, I myself started helping out in the kitchen tidying rooms and such like when I was 16, I began my child care training while volunteering gaining knowledge and hands on experience along the way, I left for a few month to go travelling and returned to the same setting and worked my up and I am now the deputy manager. At the grand old age of 24 :) I feel like part of the furniture and by being giving the opportunity so young I have grown with the company, it is a piece of me and I have so much passion and enthusiasm for the job. I believe it was all because I was giving the opportunity to do what I loved at a young age xx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)