Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Mentoring An Nqt

Hi

I was wondering if anybody could give me some advice? I have recently taken up a post as Early Years leader with the responsibility of mentoring an NQT. This is new to me and really want to ensure she gets the best start to her career. I know they get 2 sessions of non contact time, one for PPA and one for CPD. What kind of things did you ask them to do in the directed time? I am going to suggest she observes some phonic sessions and visit other units (she is teaching Nursery). Any ideas, tips would be greatly appreciated. x

She would get 10%PPA like any other teacher which is for planning, preparation and assessment, plus 10% NQT reduced contact time which is the requirement. This equates generally to a day a week.

There is a requirement to demonstrate that they are improving on the new teachers standards and these are reported in writing to your "appropriate body" (such as the LA) who monitor the process.

The NQT reduced contact sessions may be used as best fits their targets and this can also be central sessions if the LA provides them.

You would probably have an NQT manager in your LA who can advise on what is usual and what the expectations are for the mentor. Ours has central sessions for all mentors plus additional support for new mentors if the school buys into the service.

Cx

Edited by catma

When I did NQT mentoring a while ago the LA pu on some mentor training. Our NQTs went on lots of courses which used up some of their time. I'm fairly sure they came with some targets from their course. They also did observations throughout the school, had specific time with the SENCO to support with IEP writing.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)