Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tracheotamy

Glen

i am interested to hear of anyones experiences of children in Pr-School with tracheotamies.

I and a collegue are about to start the training for emergency tube change and would be great for any advice or positive experiences you can give us.

The thought at the moment is a little bit of a worry

Thanks in adance

Can't offer any experinece or advice I am afraid but didn't want to read and run.

I empathise with the thought of it being a worry but I think it is 'the thought' of it. Once you have done your training I think if you needed to use it you would find that you 'just do' - whether it's adrenalin in such a situation I don't know.

I am OK in a crisis, have done CPR on my own son, dealt with a parent collapsing at home time (not the same I know) and I was fine - just crumbled a bit once the emergencies were over! but if you said would you be able to do CPR on your own 6yr old I would have said 'no' I would panic but when it happened I didn't. I didn't conciously think I must do this, this and this I just went into action!

Sorry if my prattle doesn't make sense!!

Wow Gezabel that is amazing, I often wonder if in the situation the first aid training would take over, I certainly hope I wouldnt panic. You sound amazing to have stayed so calm with the situation with your son.

Glen I have no experience of this and I to would be concerned, I hope the training gives you confidence, I am sure it will. Keep us posted.

Wow Gezabel that is amazing, I often wonder if in the situation the first aid training would take over, I certainly hope I wouldnt panic. You sound amazing to have stayed so calm with the situation with your son.

Glen I have no experience of this and I to would be concerned, I hope the training gives you confidence, I am sure it will. Keep us posted.

In hindsight I think the taking over is exactly what happened. It's 27 years ago now but i can still see it all like a slow motion film - not sure calm is the right word - once the ambulance arrived I was a bit of a wreck!!!

We did have 2 children with trachys in school but one passed away sadly just before the summer. It is a huge undertaking if you are going to be in charge of it. One of the children is very prone to try and pull hers out so a constant 1:1 is needed. I do not approve of non medical staff doing it as nurses don't even cover it until their 3rd year of training but I know that's not always available. Please just make sure that you are fully confident before being given the go ahead to do it.

Thanks for the replies

Nichola -food for thought

I don't think I will ever be confident.

As you say maybe a job for medical staff

I will wait until after the training and reserve judgement

On the plus side he is a lovely happy little boy who has grown up with it so i dont think he would try to pull it out

I would still be interested to hear from anyone else with any experiences.

Positive ones would be great

We have a child who has just started with us with a tracheostomy. We have had the theory side of the training but have decided to delay doing the practical training until the child has settled in. Obviously one of his parents will always stay with him until then. He has developmental delay so we felt it was important to get to know him and him us before we started "practising" on him. This was OK with the insurance. You do also need to train in CPR because it is done differently.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)