Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Story Sacks

I am thinking of making up some story sacks this coming term. Can anyone gives me some ideas of ones that they have made easily that have been successful and examples of what went into them?

Many thanks

Mr Gumpy's outing.

Mr Gumpy's Motor car.

Handa's Surprise.

Mrs Wishy Washy.

Hungry Caterpillar.

Chicken Licken.

Little red hen

Three Billy Goats Gruff

Enormouse Turnip

Enormouse Watermelon

Gingerbread Man

Mrs Mopple's washing line.

As a number of these require farm animals I keep them altogether and use the same toys for each story. Most of these are from jumble sales/charity shops. The parents are great if we need an item I just put up a notice and something usually appears - although still waiting for a black pig.

There are so many...!

Any 'Kipper' book

Jasper's Beanstalk

Katie Morag

Jolly Postman

Rainbow Fish

I have a planner from a recent Nursery World, that I copied ...

Storysack_blank_planner.doc

Storysack_planner__Kippers_Birthday.doc

The planner is compiled by all staff prior to the bag being made so that props and their purpose can be identified. The planner is then typed and laminated and put in the bag, so that the person using it (or parent, if it is being sent home) can easily identify what the objectives are.

...and from a website that I found ages ago (not sure if the links are still valid or not?)

The_Very_Hungry_Caterpillar_Story_Sack.doc

Basic things to include...

A cuddly toy of the main character

Real-life props i.e. fruit, flowers, letters, dressing up clothes

Finger puppets of the story

Music on a tape to accompany the theme of the story

Musical instruments...

Hope this helps!

Hi Karen

We asked the children which stories they liked best then based our story sacks on ones they selected.

Are you able to link with another early years group and share resources as we have now doubled ours due to linking with two other foundation units in the school we are based in.

Carol

Hi Karen

We asked the children which stories they liked best then based our story sacks on ones  they selected.

Are you able to link with another early years group and share resources as we have now doubled ours due to linking with two other foundation units in the school we are based in.

Carol

36557[/snapback]

Thses ideas are great! Thanks so much. Once again this site comes up trumps!!

If only we had another early years group we could share with................... quite isolated in that sense

Handra's Surprise

This is fantastic for pre-school - y1 - it covers so much, including the five senses and you can plan a whole host of activities around the book.

Download pictures of all animals, fruits and characters from the book to laminate make into flash cards from this childminder agency site www.rtpodmore.co.uk - look up "themes". This site also gives ideas for various activities to go with Handra's Surprise and other books and themes.

Dee :)

• 1 month later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)